THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CARTRIDGE COLLECTING FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

finding old cartridge cases- anyone collect?
 Login/Join

posted
Every year I find several discarded cases while I'm hunting, and I usually pick them up, look them over, then toss them. It just occured to me that I might enjoy looking them over in my old age, when I get too old to hunt. Anyone else collect them? I could make a note about when and where I found it and then put it in a ziplock.

Last year on a backpack hunt I found a very corroded 300 H&H that had been foreformed to 300 Weatherby, which once the way they were all made. Had to be older than the hills. I've also found 25-35's and similar.

I'm going to start collecting them. Do my bit for cleaning up the countryside!

jmbn

Posts: 9 | Location: sacramento | Registered: 20 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iconoclast
posted Hide Post
jmbn, unless it is something particularly unusual or otherwise unattainable, most cartridge collectors prefer the loaded rounds. I have a few fired cases in my collection which I acquired specifically because legitimate fired brass, like some legitimate postally used stamps, is far less common than the loaded rounds themselves. Another example might be a casing from a round which normally would cost a great deal, and the collector wishes it for a "filler" until he can (if ever) afford / find the loaded specimen. The items you describe would fall more in the realm of fond memories afield.

Posts: 219 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote