Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

4mm Lang
 Login/Join

posted
I have 6 sealed and 1 open. The tin says 100 Randzunder 4mm Lang. It also says Dynamit Nobel Akteingesellschaft Nurnberg. The seal around the outside says original-sinoxid RWS. I also have an open tin of Giulio Fiocchi-Lecco 100 Flobert m/m 6 palla conica. I also have an old box that says Fifty No. 32 metallic central fire water proof , National Revolver cartridges Williamson's patent issued Jan'y 5th 1864. The cartridges inside look like a crude bullet with a tit on it. The base is flared and appears to have the propellent in it. Can anybody help with ID. Butch

Posts: 14 | Location: Poetry, Tex. | Registered: 30 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch Lambert:
I also have an old box that says Fifty No. 32 metallic central fire water proof , National Revolver cartridges Williamson's patent issued Jan'y 5th 1864. The cartridges inside look like a crude bullet with a tit on it. The base is flared and appears to have the propellent in it. Can anybody help with ID. Butch

These are Teatfire cartridges---worth 7$-14$ each. The box may have value--depending on its condition. The Teat is struck by the hammer; the bullet comes out of the flared end. This was an attempt to get around the patent for the "bored-through" cylinder, ie: the revolver cylinder as we know it today. The National teatfire cases were put into the front of the cylinder with only the teat sticking out the back of the cylinder.

Teat fire cartridges come with round or flattened teats.

the_captn

Posts: 238 | Location: earth | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Your first two mentioned packets contain rimfire sub chamber cartridges for indoor target practice.The first one is the 4mm Long cartridge , might stop a rat in its tracks at short range , and the other is the 6mm CB loading of the Flobert rifle cartridge .
CaptNemo has accurately described the teatfire cartidges , although he omitted to say that they date from the US Civil War era and are one of the interesting transitional developments from that time . It was an attempt to circumvent the Rollin White Patent held by Smith and Wesson on the bored-through revolver cylinder , which S and W defended rigourously through the legal system and invariably won . [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Muzza and Captnemo, thanks alot for the reply. I am still going through 30 large plastic tus of this stuff and I find a few gems from time to time. Butch

Posts: 14 | Location: Poetry, Tex. | Registered: 30 November 2003Reply With Quote