New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 Schofield cartridges
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a box of 12 cartridges that are inside Benet primed 45 cal. Schofield. Some one took the top off the box many yeas ago, but the box is in rather good condition, as are the copper cased cartridges. The label states "12 Revolver Ball Cartridges, calibre .45 Frankford Arsenal, 1878". Have a guy pestering the hell out of me to sell them to him, but I don't know what to ask for them. The 12 cartridges are all in great condition. Would like to hear what you guys think is a fair price to ask for. Thanks, Sendaro

Posts: 259 | Location: up state New York USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just tell him $600. If he squeals like a pig stuck under the fence, tell him you are listening for a counter-offer.

He wants you to give them to him.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich, some how I hit the ignor button on your user name. Not sure how to change it back. Thanks for the advice. I think that these Schofield cartridges are valuable, but just how much I don't know.

Posts: 259 | Location: up state New York USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like I may have fixed it.

One of Us
Picture of Bigbird34
posted Hide Post
The box is not worth a thing....the condition of the cartridges ,if in very good condition ,and has Schofield for a headstamp,each cartridge would be $10.00 to $15.00....but being Bennet primed,I'd dare say $20.00 to $25.00 a piece....collectors are strange people .....give your friend a high price and then decide on a counter offer....I wouldn't mind one for my bullet collection,as My schofield is a primed C.F.cartridge ...

Good Luck,Jim

Posts: 126 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 16 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input Bigbirs 34.

Idaho Sharpshooter I hit the wrong button and that is why your post is hiden. I'm not sure how to correct that. I'm not trying to cut you out and have talked with you before. Fact is you've given good advise to me before Rich.So don't hesitate to respond to my post.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bigbird 34, sounds like you are a cartridge collector. What area do you collect in. I like singles and the old stuff. Was very happy to find a 1" Gattling Gun cartridge last year at a garage sale. If I knew how to post photos on this site I'd would so you could see the condition it's in.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
no issue here. Tell him $600 for the lot, and let him make you a counter offer.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bigbird34
posted Hide Post
Sendaro,I am a single cartridge collector ...from civil war era to present....I also sell on auctionarms.com under the same user name bigbird34....I want one of any shell that was mass produced ....I have app 600 different cartridges on my wall....and I'm just scratching the surface ....

Posting pictures is not hard ....if you PM me I'll email you my email address,and you can ship the picture to me and I'll post it for you!

Good luck ,Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bigbird34, you may contact me at jads@citlink.net.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BigBird34,

does your collection span the modern era as well?

Norma briefly flirted with the notion of adding moly-coated bullets in their ammunition line about 15-16 years ago. It was called "Diamond Line". Special silver and black boxes.

I have a few unopened boxes if you are interested...

Rich

One of Us
Picture of Bigbird34
posted Hide Post
Hello I.S. I shot moly coated bullets for awhile ....they are "slick' per se but I decided that moly was not for me ....

I don't really collect boxed ammo,but just out of curiosity what caliber are they ....

For those of you thinking about shooting moly coated ammo ,it's fine,as long as you shoot only moly coated,in the same rifle,and don't shoot a copper cased bullet over the moly coated barrel as it will start a layering process,I also read that water and moly will etch steel....but moly does increase FPS,and recoil is lighter....but tumble anything with moly on it with stuff that should not have moly on it and you contaminated the whole bunch of stuff with moly....and moly creeps into the steel ,and likes it there...it's very difficult to clean the moly out of a barrel....

My 2 cents as usuall,Jim