Find
Notify
Tools

Volcanic Cartridges
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted
How many variations to the design were made in the S&W/New Haven Arms Co Volcanic cartridges (1854-1860)?

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
<mr.t>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
How many variations to the design were made in the S&W/New Haven Arms Co Volcanic cartridges (1854-1860)?

The "Gun Report" lists 5 variations
.31 cal cork base $35.00
.31 cal brass and cork base $35.00
.36 cal brass and cork base $150.00
.41 cal cork base $40.00
.41 cal brass and cork base $40.00
The values listed are from Oct.1999 and are low the rounds have been selling for considerably more. I would like to have a sample in my collection, but they are quite illusive. hope this helps you.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that . I don't have any of them , but have always thought they were pretty neat and would fit in with my early and transitional collection. Something to wish for at Christmas perhaps?

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iconoclast
posted Hide Post
There have been several of the .31 & .41 offered for sale on AA & GB in the past six months. I didn't realize there was a .36 or two types in the other calibers (thanks, Mr. T!). Pricing seems to be in the $50 - $90 range for them at the moment. muzza, there was at least one in Vic Engel's last auction.

Posts: 219 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote