New
Find
Notify
Tools

Communication
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always found it very interesting to listen to the political diatribe, but I was never interested in getting to know the system better, my brain doesn't work that way. Now, my middle son is a different matter. He's a techno-wizard who has 49 employees in his video game development company. Who would have ever thought that something like that was possible? When he talks to me about his business, he might just as well be speaking Greek.But he is sussefull + makes more money than I ever did, so I guess that it's a father's best wish fulfilled.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WoodHunter:
Back in the 60's I had a GE battery powered short wave receiver. Great big slide rule type dial and 9 D batteries.

Used the wire clothes line in the backyard for an antenna after I put in ceramic insulators on the ends of the wire. Used an outdoor faucet for ground.

Way down on the US Georgia coast, right on the Atlantic. I was about 16 at the time.

Picked up radio Moscow all the time along with a lot of European stations. The Radio Moscow was an English speaking station and played great music.

I have a Hallicrafters receiver in the shop. I should string up an antenna and put it to use.

Ahh, good times good times. I got my start with a Hallicrafters S38E and it was certainly mind-broadening listening to foreign broadcasts back when most people just had 4 TV channels. Funny or not so funny thing about Hallicrafters is that at least my model used one side of the circuit with the radio chassis, so if you put the plug into the wall socket the wrong way the chassis was hot and you could get zapped. Just lucky I guess because it never happened to me and I only found out about that feature 30 years later.

Nowadays, I'm an extra class and also own a 2 meter repeater. Still like chatting with others around the world especially in winter time with somebody who is on some sandy beach somewhere.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is always important to know of any incoming news, but more importantly is if it's true,

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post