New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wow
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So, I think there is more beef cattle than people in Missouri. In fact bazillions of fall calves are dotting every field now. I saw this today in the store:

It's also the middle of deer season here. Some of my neighbors are complaining that no one is operating as deer processors anymore. Some distant shops are charging $150 per carcass for basic cut/grind. I've always processed my own so this isn't a big deal for me but it used to be all the custom slaughterhouses also did deer during the season. Not anymore!

Anyway, I am heading back out to hunt (it's firearms right now). I am being picky this year and have passed on the little bucks so far.

~Ann

Posts: 19154 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The price of beef has gone insane ( right now, approx. $1.25 on the hoof)+ the rancher is still making what he made 3 years ago. The profit margins are all in the stores. Ann, I have always done my own deer processing as well. I have the grinder, stuffer ,etc. With one exception. Years ago I would take my boys up to a lease in Evant + there was a little old local processor + he made the best sausage that I've ever tasted. I would have him turn the entire deers into his famous sausage + my boys grew up on it. He finally passed + his son never got the recipe right. Pity, but nothing lasts forever.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should see what the economy is doing on feed prices. I don't have cattle but all my friends out here who do are quite concerned.

~Ann

Posts: 19154 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're right about that. I have a good friend + his wife who have a big cattle operation outside of Omaha + they are really feeling it.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apparently there are only four commercial processing plants/companies in the USA? I don't know if that is true or not. But they are the ones who supply the grocery stores.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That price per pound is actually the norm now. I see Ribeyes running at nearly $20/lb in some stores. thumbdown

Posts: 18530 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even hamburger is pricey, the grey stuff that has a lot of fat in it. Eek!

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a friend that was offered a half of beef this fall and he was on the fence about it, until I told him that if he didn't take it, I would!

Posts: 18530 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
All the more reason to return to local farm to table. We are too vunerable as a people to centralized corporate food production. That goes for electricity too.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to contact the high scgool ag dept. that had the FFA kids that were raising calves under great supervision + would buy from the kid. A bit more dollar-wise but the quality was unsurpassed. Yeah, a chunk of of money in one bite but over the next year, having a freezer full was well worth it. Odds are that the H.S. FFA programs are still in force.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got two deer for the freezer now. One button buck a friend gave me and the buck I shot two days ago. The fawn is already cut up, I will run the vacuum sealer on the bags today (I freeze the packages over night first) and start cutting my buck today.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I "bury" a lot of canned food. Even add a cheap can opened to each food cache.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a good idea. I keep a P-38 opener on me all the time, but many don't. Remember the commercials in the early 60s when they had just come out with the pop-top for beer + sodas? A guy on a picnic with his girl attacking his old church-key style can with a rock. Sealed cans aren't much use if you can't get in them. Sure, there are other ways but the point here as I see it is not to deliberately inconvenience ourselves.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can opener? You don't need no stinkin' can opener:

https://www.bing.com/videos/se...5A2AFD6DCA&FORM=VIRE

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alternate methods are always good to know; however, just because I can make fire with flint + steel, doesn't mean I disagree with carrying waterproofed matches + I must confess, a lighter. Smiler