New
Find
Notify
Tools

For those inclined to produce their own
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is a very good article on meat rabbit production.

https://northernhomesteading.c...7mDZ06bJOobtQmNSLDbU

~Ann

Posts: 19154 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of good info there, Ann. I still have rolls of 1x2 + 1/2x1 mesh + clips, but haven't raised any in years. With my shop, building the cages on my brake + the feeders out of sheet metal is a snap. The watering system I used in the past was an overhead tank that fed a 1/2" PVC pipe that ran the length of the cages + I installed glue on valves that they could drink from by their tooth pressure. I just might get into it again, they are really good eating.

Posts: 4204 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I raised meat rabbits in my younger years.

A good way to have steady meat.

Posts: 19364 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are so easy to raise. The poop is great for the garden too. I have two does with 8 kits born 24 and 26 Oct between them right now. Little boogers grow fast.

~Ann

Posts: 19154 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, they do + they (pardon me) breed like rabbits.

Posts: 4204 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What surprises me is how violent rabbits can be when it's time to breed. Savages. At least for some there is a bit of fighting.

With the current pair of does one is a first time mother. When I put her in with the buck he completely ignored her so I left her with him over night. I wasn't sure if he did his duty. It is very difficult to tell if a rabbit is pregnant. They don't get big bellies so you won't know until 32 days later.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, just like other mammals (man included) there are some who though the species are well-mannered, there are some who are not. They are also the 1st to butcher before they breed. You get my point.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep. Young bucks will fight if kept together too long, some even take up projectile pissing and make a mess of the rabbitry.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a front yard full of Snowshoe Hares, and a back yard full of Snowshoe Hares. They often frighten me when they explode out of nowhere. We are about two years into a ten year cycle for them. Soon there will be more Lynx in the yard feeding on Hares.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post