Notify
Tools

The growing season
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coues:
WE are making a few raised beds from an 18ft garage door that was replaced.. Just a few cuts and L brackets and screws.
coues
ds

Excellent!

~Ann

Posts: 19121 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yesterday my wife made a low country boil and used potatoes and corn from our garden. Tomorrow night she is stir frying squash, zucchini and onions from the same garden.

When will this current nightmare end.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Florida | Registered: 13 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid in Germany (this was shortly after WW2) the average family had a garden plot that was approximately 4 ft. square that they used to feed their family. Hard to imagine today but that was how it was. You did it or starved. + Oh+BTW, since I was an American kid I never did climb the hill + milch the coo; I just went to Kaffee tringken.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've already started canning beans. I just pulled up my onion and garlic crop and I do believe I will dehydrate many of them for storage purposes.

If I get a good potato harvest I will also pressure can them. I stocked up on lids when the scamdemic started but am now looking at buying reusable canning lids for the future.

I also just bottled (yesterday) my first 5 gallons of elderberry wine. I have another 5 gallon carboy just about ready to go too.

~Ann

Posts: 19121 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wine

Beans

Just planted my fall crop.

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
We just finished canning 24 quarts of potatoes, 24 pints of salsa and 24 quarts of marinated tomato and cucumber salad.
coues
ds

Posts: 336 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, you and Ann are both making me hungry! I grew up in a canning(bottling) family. Not only is it better tasting than store bought food, but there is a pride in, and a deep appreciation for all of the work that went into growing, caring for and canning that food! tu2 tu2 Speaking of salsa, my family used to bottle a wonderful chili sauce that was heaven on tacos, hash brown potatoes and eggs, among other things! tu2

Posts: 18516 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UEG, canning is so easy. Nothing to it at all. I recently canned up the meat from 8 rabbits. Lovely stuff.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I recall, we canned tomatoes, tomato juice, pears, peaches, bing and sour cherries, sweet pickles and dill pickles, sweet and hot peppers, jams (apricot, strawberry, and my favorite-raspberry, and other berries), venison, fish, beef, rabbit, chicken, squash, string beans, carrots, potatoes, corn, beets (including pickled beets as well), asparagus, chili sauce, salsa, relish, grape juice from our grape arbors, peas, our own horse radish (damn it was hot!) from our own horse radish roots, apple sauce, etc. etc. etc. We rarely bought from the store. Unfortunately, I now live in an area not conducive to large scale gardening and canning (Las Vegas). Thanks for letting me re-live the memories! Big Grin By the way, we also used to make our own lye soap for washing our clothes. Best thing for whites!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You did very well!

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
Use enough gun that sauce sounds good.. you all did a lot of good work there.
We made a large batch of lye soaps last year.
We used the fat from several hogs we butchered,
This gave me something to do while recovering from my shearing off the top of my right tibia.lol
coues
ds

Posts: 336 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2 To me, gardening and canning are also great therapies, in addition to the food preservation and harvesting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are so right! I find that over the years I find much more enjoyment in the canning that in the gardening. Saving all the peaches until enough to make a run of preserves. I save all my tomatoes in the freezer until fall + when it gets cool outdoors I dedicate a weekend to making + canning salsa. There is no feeling like that experience when it's cold outside, you're making salsa, (if friends are over that they are NOT in your way Smiler )+ your house smells like Heaven! Canning sessions are an experience that everyone should experience at least once. I can not even begin to describe the inner feeling that I get when doing this deed. In an abstract fashion, this follows suit to my own personal feelings that I tend to enjoy the reloading process over the hunting.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My canning tomatoes have been trickling in slowly so far so I have been freezing them until I get enough.

~Ann