Find
Notify
Tools

Last White Hunter
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.hindustantimes.com...MTKMZIBQo2HwJjJ.html

Excerpt from the book with photos of hunting in India.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9365 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Brings back good memories.

Firstly Don was not a white hunter at all. His father might have been British descent (several generations in India) but his mother was definitely Anglo Indian. Don was post colonial generation - hunting in the 50s as a teenager and then well into adulthood.

In 1971, as a school boy, I remember Don visiting my dad in Hosur to renew his hunting license. He would have been in his late 30s and working in the Binny mills in Bangalore. Don used a 423 Mauser like my dad (10.75X68).

Over the last 15 years or so (after 2002) my brother got to know Don quite well and took him on many trips to watch tigers and other wildlife in Masinagudi / Mudumalai wildlife sanctuary. I have spoken to Don on the phone but never met him - 2011.

Sadly Don fell on hard times late in life. He never married and I think he had a sister who lived overseas.

There are some older thread on Don & his dad.

I am not sure if any of the man eater stories are officially gazetted / authenticated.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I wonder if my Grandfather knew him. He worked as a batch plant engineer on several construction projects (mostly hydro dams) in Bangladesh, Pakistan and India in the 1950-1970's.

He died about 15 years ago, I never got a chance to get his quite remarkable story down. My uncle knows it, one of these days I will badger my uncle into doing something.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Please PM me with your details.

My grandfather came back from Burma in 1940 and lead many Engineering projects until retirement in the 50s.

My uncle worked in Bangalore and other parts on India in similar projects from the early 50s - Bakranangal Hydel project was one.

quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I wonder if my Grandfather knew him. He worked as a batch plant engineer on several construction projects (mostly hydro dams) in Bangladesh, Pakistan and India in the 1950-1970's.

He died about 15 years ago, I never got a chance to get his quite remarkable story down. My uncle knows it, one of these days I will badger my uncle into doing something.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting details on the book, should be a good read. Donald wrote a short description in one of his fathers books about a maneating leopard he hunted and shot but I found his narrating style not up there with his fathers, nevertheless it was interesting.
I don't know why the title of the book is "The Last White Hunter" unless Donald saw himself as such. That sort of title only seemed to apply to the white hunters of Africa and not to India. Jim Corbett would likely have qualified for that title, not that he would ever have seen himself as such.

Back some time ago I came across the link below to the tribute for Donald when he died. I have posted it before but have done so again as it gives a good insight to the man and his life. I was a little disappointed as the video starts off with Don speaking and then there is no more live video. I thought it was going to be a narration by him but sadly not. Still a very good selection of photos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJznwgzhmCY

Posts: 3851 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Finished this book a couple of weeks ago. It was an interesting book. Sounds like Donald led quite a life in his youth, not so much as he got older. It is definitely not a hunting book although there is a hunting thread that weaves through the book. More an insight into life in the colonial and post-colonial period in India. I enjoyed it. Definitely would have been a treat to have hunted in India in the 20's or 30's. The author is a pretty good writer and as I say the book was enjoyable.

Mike

Posts: 21211 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
The first video is of Don taking a pee in Mudumalai national park! The video was taken by my brother who is the driver of the car.

He died virtually penny less and a friend gave him accommodation is a small room / shed on his property.

He maintained his dignity and refused to accept hand outs and made ends meet by selling a few old memorabilia.

He had a lot of friends who stood by him. He was a down to earth guy who did not talk too much about "the good old days". That came after a few drinks when out in the wilds with a few select friends.

quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
Thanks for posting details on the book, should be a good read. Donald wrote a short description in one of his fathers books about a maneating leopard he hunted and shot but I found his narrating style not up there with his fathers, nevertheless it was interesting.
I don't know why the title of the book is "The Last White Hunter" unless Donald saw himself as such. That sort of title only seemed to apply to the white hunters of Africa and not to India. Jim Corbett would likely have qualified for that title, not that he would ever have seen himself as such.

Back some time ago I came across the link below to the tribute for Donald when he died. I have posted it before but have done so again as it gives a good insight to the man and his life. I was a little disappointed as the video starts off with Don speaking and then there is no more live video. I thought it was going to be a narration by him but sadly not. Still a very good selection of photos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJznwgzhmCY