Tools

My Tur
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hunted With Mirbala Manafov
First week of Nov
Quba area
Borrowed his 30 06 ( wouldn't don't do that again)

Hi guys, this is a little late but better now than never. The trip went well. I am happy with the animal I got. Mirbala is top notch and you couldn't find a more fun guy to be in camp with. He is a very kind man who does all he can to make his clients happy.

The guides were very good as well. There was not much comunication with them as English was not very good. I will say they are the best at hiking I have ever seen. The only complaint I had was they would charge in on a stalk like it was nothing. I was lucky on mine but my buddy had a few screw ups that cost him becasue of their speed going in on the final stalk.

Food was outstanding! Everyone including the cook helped out all they could to make things comfortable. Becasue of winter conditions we were not allowed to stay on the mountain. Instead we stayed at his deluxe camp. This was great except for the huge mountain we had to hike from the bottom every day.

My ram was spotted from my buddy on the next mountain and he guided us in. There were about 30 rams in the bunch. We got lucky and got in above them at 150 yards. There was one big one bedded down but he was looking at us and covered by other sheep that were feeding next to him. The wind was blowing towards them and I felt I had 30 seconds to get a shot off before the whole bunch took off. I looked over the herd and saw thatt hey were all mature rams to some extent. I noticed most of them had lamb tips. I always wanted to get one that was broomed off. They were feeding in a tight group but one ram was in the open and it had broomed horns and looked to have way more mass than the rest of them. Like I said I figured we were going to get busted so I felt this ram was good and at the shot he rolled down the mountain. We aged him at 10 years old at camp. When I aksed Mirbala to talk with the guides and see if there were any bigger ones he said there were 2-3 that were a couple inches bigger but not the mass of the one I got. I felt I had made a decent decision. Mirbala figured he had about 4 inches broomed off and he was just over 33 inches. I am not sure how he compares to others for a trophy but I am happy with the choice I made.
It was a great experience and would love to go again. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

This was at the market going to Quba. Had to get some meat and vegies on the way for camp

We took this old Russion truck up to the main camp. What a rough ride that was

Here are a few Tur on the hills at a couple hundred yards.

The team taking a break.

A few mountains that we climbed

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done Smiler

Posts: 174 | Location: Cumbria | Registered: 30 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done. Nice looking Tur. Bruce

Posts: 373 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Nice trophy hunt.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very nice!

do you plan to get him mounted? if so, how?

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Looks like a dandy ram and a great hunt. I'd go back in a heartbeat if there wasn't so much more of this world to experience! Congrats.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
Looks like a dandy ram and a great hunt. I'd go back in a heartbeat if there wasn't so much more of this world to experience! Congrats.

Exactly my thoughts TJ. There are other Tur to hunt so maybe I might get to Russia one day. Got Marco Polo and Ibex in Tadjikistan next on my list

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nube:
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:

Exactly my thoughts TJ. There are other Tur to hunt so maybe I might get to Russia one day. Got Marco Polo and Ibex in Tadjikistan next on my list

Well done Phil. Let me know if you do Marco Polo. I might go with you.

Posts: 11959 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Cool hunt, solid trophy! Congrats!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Very nice! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice one bro - dandy ram!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic Ram! Congrats!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. The cape is much nicer than the ones we got in the summer. How was the temperature? It doesn't look to bad from the pictures. Congratulations.

Sheep hunting, the most fun you can have while being completely miserable!

Posts: 55 | Location: Sussex county N.J. | Registered: 25 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Temps were just fine. They were close to freezing at nite and warmed up during the day. We stayed at the bottom of the mountain as the weather they did not trust and if caught on the mountain in a camp it would be tough. The hunt is not for anyone that can't hike as you had to do the whole mountain each day. Even my 26 year old buddy got his on day 3 and figured after that he might not have been able to hunt that 4th day and to take a break. Those mountains are huge and steep. Just when you think you get to the top you peak over the edge and then you notice your only 2/3rds up the mountain.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic ram!
Thank you for sharing.

Have a good day.

Posts: 125 | Location: Deep woods of Norway | Registered: 24 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about these animals, but it sure looks like a nice one to me. Well done Nube.

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Phil - really nice ram tu2

Quite a scenery also Wink

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
Looks like you had a great hunt in some nice country there. Thanks for sharing - great billy too!

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Beautiful Ram.

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of R8 PRO
posted Hide Post
great post thanks for sharing.

Relax and light a Cuban.

Posts: 177 | Location: UK | Registered: 16 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Can you give me an idea of what this hunt costs? Hope you don't mind me asking...

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Phil,

Don't know how I missed this report. Great country and beautiful trophy. I didn't realize how big a Tur is. What do you think he weighed?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just curious-those walking sticks. Are they just fabricated from local sticks, or are they something you brought. I noticed some sort of cap on the top of your stick. These are so much better than two ski poles....

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
They are made locally and supplied for use during the hunt. The metal end is like a small spade that can be used to dig into the ground or even chip footholds out. They do take some practice getting used to but work great once you do.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you hunt from the Winter cabin?? I see Ahkbar in the photo with your Tur. He is by far the greatest mountain guide I have ever had the privilege to be guided by. I always joke and say that he should wear a Superman cape because what that man did was not human. Nice Tur!! To date that is one of my best hunts ever and Mirbala is just a class act. Glad you had a great adventure!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys I haven't been on AR for a while.
Cardinal the sticks were what was given to me when I left in the morning to go on my hunt. There was a metal piece that I actually did not care for much that had a tiny spike on it.
Jim , yes that is Ahkbar. HYe was a hoot and I got along real well with him. A true mountain giant and was as tough as nails. Great sense of humour even though english was not his strength. Kept me laughing all the time. I am itching to go again but have so many other things I want to hunt.