New
Find
Notify
Tools

Russian Tur Hunt
 Login/Join

Picture of us_dragunov
posted
I am going to be going on a Russian Tur hunt that one of my friends is arranging when I go back over there to visit. Anyhow here done one of these yet? I know the altitude will be up there. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Tur in North Ossetia quite a few years back. The Caucasus is a specatcular location - steep, high altitude (up to 12-13000 ft), with tough and long hikes. I shot a somewhat modest tur, so make sure you get to see your quarry from all sides, and don't let the guides screaming "SHOOT" make you shoot before you know it is the animal you want. In any event, a tur hunt is rarely a done deal.

The tur come in different forms, and the hunting methods applied are also different - e.g. in Azerbajan (sp?) where the biggest tur are found, drives are often used. That is a dicey proposition if you are looking for a trophy. It will be hard to judge the trophy of animals in full run at considerable distance. Just not my thing for a trophy hunt.

Apart from the tur, I thoroughly enjoyed hunting for red stag in the lower mountains. What a thrill to stalk a roaring stag!
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Throw some pics up mike.
G

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh man, this hunt took place quite a few years before I got a digital camera. I have some film/paper pictures, but no scanner. I'll see what I can do, but don't hold your breath.

Not just beccause of the trophy, I actually ended up savouring the red deer more than the tur hunting. The tur hunting country is absolutely spectacular, whereas (at least some of) the red stag hunting takes places in the forested foothills of the Caucasus. But sneaking up on a roaring stag was a memory that I'll cherish forever.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sports Afield this month highlights a Russian Tur hunt by Walt Prothero. His hunt was an "event". I hope you are booked with someone who knows the landscape in Russia. I worked there for a few years and found the Russians to be "interesting". A deal is never a deal with those guys unless the guy at the top says it is a deal. I have no clue how the hunting works in Russia. My business was not hunting.

Be careful and have fun.

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get your cardiopulmonary system in shape and you may consider some Diomox to help reduce altitude sickness. Spending and extra day or two in camp is also a good way to become climatized. Learn to recognize signs of altitude sickness and practice shooting at extreme angles uphill and down. Hope this helps and keep us posted.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of us_dragunov
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the info. I'll take some photos and definitely give you an AAR. I'll be there this spring so look for the AAR in June. Just booked my tickets for it yesterday. I actually lived down in the Caucasus region for a year and I will confirm that a) yes it is a bit of the wild west there b) its all about who you know and how much you can pay and c) a deal is not a deal until it's done. It will be a high altitude hunt, but that is what I want as some of the landscape there is beautiful. The mountains there are stunning. I'll have to post some photos that I have. Luckily for me I was born and raised in Colorado and love to hike the mountains (I used to hit the 14ers quite a bit)so while I do need to get in shape again. I rapidly aclimate to high altitude and never really notice it until I am WAY up there. It is a bit hairy in that area, but the guys I am going with are...well let's just say legal protection (officers of various military and law enforcement type Russian agencies) so I should be fairly safe...or at least we'll put up a VERY good fight. BOOM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
just remember to drink lots of water, and probably not the stuff out of the tap...

Andy

Picture of us_dragunov
posted Hide Post
Returned from the hunt. What an amazing time! I'll post some photos and a detailed report later.

Picture of us_dragunov
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the late reply:

Here are a couple of photos of the Tur we took. After spotting maybe 35 animals on our scouting walk for what was going to be our main hunting day the next day, and coming up with a good plan, we were back at the campsite and my buddy started to glass the mountains directly surrounding us as the rest of us were doing things like getting the fire going and preparing to cook, protecting the packs for the probable overnight rain etc. Suddenly he saw this big guy across the river and up high on the peak. Needless to say...we decided to go after him. It was about three hours later when a single shot let out that sent him tumbling down off the cliff edge he was walking on. Another three hours and late as heck until we finally were able to get him back down to camp level and swim him across the icy cold river to camp. I have a hard time with guessing weights but he was between 225-250 lbs and dragging him down that rough terrain kicked my ass! Anyhow...a super and amazing hunt that I am doing a full write up on and will publish that later.

BTW....he tasted damn good too. Cool

Picture of us_dragunov
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention that he was taken with a single shot from a semi-auto AK with a side-folding stock and an EOTECH mounted on it at a range of maybe 125-150 meters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by us_dragunov:
I forgot to mention that he was taken with a single shot from a semi-auto AK with a side-folding stock and an EOTECH mounted on it at a range of maybe 125-150 meters.

The classic Tur rifle!

Looking forward to the longer post and more pictures.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StormsGSP:
quote:
Originally posted by us_dragunov:

The classic Tur rifle!
rotflmo

Looking forward to the longer post and more pictures.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW....he tasted damn good too.

LOL. You didn't leave much - just a head and horns!

Congrats on your hunt. Look forward to reading more details.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TMTAXIDERMY
posted Hide Post
EGAD!! The cape!!! You didn't save it???

Posts: 138 | Location: Dardanelle, Arkansas | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of us_dragunov
posted Hide Post
No...we didn't save it. Supposedly it was when they were shedding for their summer coat and the wool/hair wouldn't hold in a mount. I'll save the next one when I go back next year a bit earlier. He sure tasted good though...kind of a cross between beef and lamb.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the waning days of the Soviet Union I hunted boar in the Caucasus in Azerbaijan and was given a Tur skull as a gift. The terrain is stunning and the villagers are most hospitable (or were) and the food magnificent. Back then Inturist arranged hunts (not mine - I was a Soviet guest) and they would arrange for a foreigner to see a Tur on the first hunt and try to drag out as many hunts as possible
because the hunt was a significant source of hard currency.

Oxon

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome any hunter to Azerbaijan for Tur or other hunts!

info@worldwidesafaris.net
Tel:+99 450 3656045
+99 455 3656045
Fax:+99 412 4189495

Posts: 36 | Location: Azerbaijan | Registered: 16 March 2007Reply With Quote