THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ASIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Asian Hunting Forum    How do you get yourself in shape for high altitide hunts?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you get yourself in shape for high altitide hunts?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am curious what you gentlemen are doing.

I have a Hypoxico machine. I used it at night for several months. It made my blood pressure go crazy. I am reluctant to try it again.

The "training mask" has been proven to not be for altitude but rather for resistance training.

So what does a guy living at less than 100 feet elevation do to get ready for a hunt? I am thinking in advance for Tajikistan in 2018.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hello

It is tough training for a high altitude hunt in Illinois or Florida.

You have to concentrate on the StairMaster and climbing stairs. When I train I do 16-20 floors by stairs 3 times a week besides the StairMaster, and specially on horse back hunts where actual climbing is limited it will get me through an 8-10 day hunt.

The most important thing to remember is a slow ascent and a day or two to acclimatize before starting the hunt. Also start Diamox 125mg twice a day 3-4 days prior and continue for at least a week in the hunting area (total of 11-12 days).

It will be a fun hunt.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir.

I knew about the Diamox. I used it in China when I hunted there in 1997. Also, at high altitude in South American a few years ago.

Right now, I have about a 15 minute walk to and from the hill I climb. I am climbing 120-150 floors (running the last 5-8 steps of each ascent) probably 4 times a week. In addition, I walk a couple of days a week carrying a relatively light backpack ( 30 + pounds) . I will increase the weight over time. I will also use the backpack while climbing at some point.

I lift weights with a trainer 3 times a week. I also do yoga twice a week.

I hope this is enough.

I am still concerned about the oxygen capacity. I may hook up my Hypoxico and use it on my treadmill from time to time.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
In my experience there is not a whole lot a flatlander can do except get all the cardio you can.
Your work out seems fine to me. Your legs should be in good shape. You will just have to stop and catch your breath.

Acclimatizing seems to be "in" these days. It did seem to help last time I went above 10,000. We took it easy the first couple of days and I didn't get wore out until about day 10.

Oh to be 20 again!

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We went to a wedding in Ecuador a few years back (4 I think). We took Diamox. As I recall, we were at about 10,000 feet and we ran 5-6 miles a day with no problem. Of course, that is a lot different that 15,000 feet and climbing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,
Why are you even posting this when by your own account, aka "self bravado" in the November issue of The Hunting Report Newsletter you list your own physical condition as, "outstanding for my age"?

If you are so unsure of whether or not you are training properly how can you file a hunt report claiming your physical condition as "outstanding for my age"?

As my daddy used to tell me growing up:

"Son, anybody who's got to tell you how good they are isn't."

Your constant egocentric posts on AR are affirmation of my daddy's advice!

"Politicians, attorney's, and shooters of wildlife behind high fences. Take em all down to south Texas, put em inside a high fenced escape proof enclosure without their guns and let the rattlesnakes cull em out."

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Echoanne12
My Moma would tell me. If you don't have anything good to say then don't say nothing at all.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Diamox treats the symptoms that make you feel bad. It does not put you in better shape for high altitudes.

The problem with going to high altitudes is the reduced partial pressure of Oxygen available for absorption into your lungs - thin air. Your body can adapt by producing more red blood cells. The additional production of red cells increases your hematocrit. The hematocrit is the ratio of the volume of red blood cells to the total volume of blood. It takes at least a few days to begin to gain a meaningful increase in blood cells and your body doesn't fully adjust for well over a week.

Something you can do to increase your hematocrit before you go is to take over the counter iron supplements. Take those for at least two weeks prior to going and continue while you are at your destination. The dosage doesn't need to be big. I take the low dose 27mg tablets sold in grocery stores. It can make a big difference. I confirmed it myself with before and after (30 days) blood work. My hematocrit went up by about 6%.

Something that lowers your hematocrit and should be avoided is smoking.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=350102759#350102759

Link to hunt report.

We were in Tajikistan in 2008. My husband and I did not take Diamox and the three other hunters in our party were using it. I really did not see any difference in altitude adjustment between us and them. The drive into camp is pretty long from Dushanbe, about 30 hours so you are gradually gaining altitude.

The worst part was climbing for my ibex because it was really vertical. After I shot my ibex, my husband jokingly said he would have just paid for another Marco Polo for me instead of the ibex because it was a much harder hunt.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised how easy the Marco Polo sheep hunt is as compared to some other hunts.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9363 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

We are doing this a little bit different than most. The way we are going will avoid most of that god awful long drive.

They do want us to spend a full day in camp acclimating to the altitude.

In 1997 we did blue sheep in China. Base camp was at 12,500. I shot my second sheep at 17,500. I shot A Tibetan gazelle at 15,500. I had absolutely no problem but that was 20 years ago. Also, while the elevation was high , the terrain was not that difficult.

I was aware of the hematocrit in general terms and what it means ( it is beneficial to be married to a surgeon). I did not know that iron would change the levels. Thanks for that tip. I will try that.

Thanks again!

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Echoanne,

I get it now. I finally get it. Took me awhile but I get it.

This is a man-crush you have on Larry ... pure and simple. A man scorned by his hero, reduced to a common stalker.

donttroll

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn Todd, I never thought about that. he did call me his hero in one of his first posts. rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
He's definitely OBSESSED with you Larry.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems I was his hero. See his post below. Now he just seems obsessed for some reason.

I have better things to do with my life than worry about him.

posted 22 September 2016 04:23 Hide Post
Larry,
Once again a great report! You are my hero. Just please , please tell me you have not fallen for Dennis Campbell's charade over at Grand Slam Club Ovis and joined his band of charlatans who care more about self gratification under the disguise of wild sheep conservation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
like grenadier said -it takes about 10 days for the body to produce enough red corpuscles. that is why you feel so much more fit at the end of your hunt. Try eating cream of wheat cereal - it is one of the best sources of iron there is

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Echoanne12:
Larry,
Why are you even posting this when by your own account, aka "self bravado" in the November issue of The Hunting Report Newsletter you list your own physical condition as, "outstanding for my age"?

If you are so unsure of whether or not you are training properly how can you file a hunt report claiming your physical condition as "outstanding for my age"?

As my daddy used to tell me growing up:

"Son, anybody who's got to tell you how good they are isn't."

Your constant egocentric posts on AR are affirmation of my daddy's advice!

"Politicians, attorney's, and shooters of wildlife behind high fences. Take em all down to south Texas, put em inside a high fenced escape proof enclosure without their guns and let the rattlesnakes cull em out."

barf
I am lacking words....

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys talk about being "obsessed" with Larry as being a bad thing.

Good hell, I'm kind of obsessed a little too. I like following his escapades and many of his outings mirror some of my own. I just don't happen to be as prolific at posting on this site so...I "follow" him, contribute some and enjoy the reading here.

No man-crush here and he's not my hero but I suspect we'd become fast friends around a campfire.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Poor ole Larry Shores! He just can't resist my button pushing bait!

At first I admired his posts but when he showed his ignorance regarding fair chase free range hunting versus shooting animals restricted behind a high fence like Broadmouth Canyon Ranch, then I saw through his self bravado.

Does anyone really care on AR about your tree stand hunting exploits?

Maybe your physical condition really would be "outstanding for my age " if you spent as much time pursuing aerobic exercise as you expend on posts on AR.

I win again Larry! Pushing your button is as easy as drawing in hogs to a corn feeder behind a high fence in Texas.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I think Larry can run few circles around most of us

Annie on the other hand is sweating her fannie without moving

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Get in as good of cardiovascular shape as you can before the hunt and then take appropriate meds to mitigate your symptoms. Consult your doctor of course. My doctor friend (who's hunted Tajikistan twice) recommended diamox for altitude and decadron for cerebral and pulmonary edema.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett:

Isn't decadron an injectable medication ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Brett:

Isn't decadron an injectable medication ?

It's available for injection or by mouth (pill). Its usually to treat symptoms of HACE/HAPE, though there is some off label evidence for prevention. (Luks AM, McIntosh SE, Grissom CK, et al, “Wilderness Medical Society Consensus Guidelines for the Prevention and Treatment of Acute Altitude Illness,” Wilderness Environ Med, 2010, 21(2):146-55.)

The article is available on uptodate if your wife has access, Or I can email it to you if you PM me your email address.

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Diamox and oral dexamethasone (Decadron) were very helpful in Tajikistan last Dec. Your workout regimen is fine. Unfortunately, you can't train for altitude as mentioned earlier. Slow ascent is well documented. We started our meds 2 days before the drive up to camp and stayed on them until we were back in Dushanbe-5 hunters from 52-65 and everyone did fine.Be sure and take ample supplies of diarrhea medications-we all got the squirts! Good hunting!!

Posts: 155 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I just worry there is enough air for the turbine, I can huff and puff my way around once I'm there Big Grin

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Luckily those turbines are well acclimated! Never had to get above 8000 in the AS350B2's I worked out of when I was a flight nurse, but the B3 version is the model that topped Everest a few years ago.

That an MD500??

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Sure is and it needed all the air it could get when we lifted off with the weight we had onboard. Pilot just lifted and skimmed the machine down into the river bed just to the left of that closest bush and we got enough forward momentum and lift to clear the ridge in the sun on the left of the photo. My feet then started to thaw after a week hunting and in camp with no sun. The old sphincter was clamped well shut though until we got to cruise altitude.

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote