Tools

If you like grouse
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
... this is a lovely little film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhcAMc6M9gI

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
That was an awesome video! Love to see his passion for the outdoors,

dogs, nature & wing shooting. He would fit in nicely with my buddies

here in Wyoming!

Posts: 518 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Project Upland produces some great videos... this is certainly one!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7510 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting Bill, that's a great film with wonderful dog work. I would love to hunt a day or two with that gentleman, and his dog.
Dinner looked pretty damm good also.

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Great vid.... thanks for posting the link. Shot grouse off skies in Sweden a few years ago .... great fun !!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! tu2 Thanks so much for posting! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunting upland birds with dogs is great fun.

Spent thousands of hours doing it.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted all different types of wild birds but the one that I have not and will not give to somebody is Grouse, they to me is the finest wild fowl to eat and challenging to hunt. I had a well experienced Lab who would tip me off once he got wind of them and though he was obedient if the grouse was a running I would have to keep up with him. On the occasion he would get one to hold he would look like a pointer and if I missed he would give me a look {"like don't do it again)

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2295 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have hunted all different types of wild birds but the one that I have not and will not give to somebody is Grouse, they to me is the finest wild fowl to eat and challenging to hunt

A lot of follow shooters over the years would give me heck for shooting sitting grouse.

I would tell them.

Grouse taste so good a sitting one is a gift from God.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Yes hunting ruffies is a lot of fun as are their cousins sharptails in the more open country.

p dog...unequivocally can say that where I grew up most hunters just shot grouse sitting at the side of the logging roads and did not flush them and shoot them on the wing. Very few used dogs, and if they did it was just to run and fetch a grouse.

I think I was probably in my late teens before I met a guy with good bird dogs that hunted ruffies with them. He was also the guy that introduced me to pheasants. Later I hunted with relatives in the "prairies" that used dogs for sharptails and huns. A day in the field behind good bird dogs is hard to beat.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
That’s a wonderful film! Thanks for sharing it, Bill.

Posts: 3833 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote