THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    What could cause this problem?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What could cause this problem?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a pair of Benelli Legacy guns. One in 20 and one in 28. As far as I can measure the LOP and the drops are identical on both guns. Yet, I HIT far more quail with the 20 than the 28.

I just took the 28 and a Benelli Cordoba in 20 ga to Argentina to shoot doves. My guess is that my hit ratio is probably double on the Cordoba compared to the 28 ga. I know the drop is less on the Cordoba.

What could cause this difference in my ability to shoot these guns?

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you patterned the 28? Could be a bent barrel or choke problems.

If there is much difference in weight, then the lighter gun might adversely affect your swing.

Of course, there is also the fact that in spite of what people say, a 28 ain't a 20.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
28 is much lighter isn't it? to whippy for me, and maybe for you? After you spend years shooting bigger, heavier guns its hard to slow down enough to shoot one that light, at least that's my case.

Posts: 1013 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Have you patterned the 28? Could be a bent barrel or choke problems.

If there is much difference in weight, then the lighter gun might adversely affect your swing.

Of course, there is also the fact that in spite of what people say, a 28 ain't a 20.

I am wondering the same thing. I am going to pattern it.

I am talking hits as opposed to kills. I shortened up the shots on the 28.

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gale Johnson:
28 is much lighter isn't it? to whippy for me, and maybe for you? After you spend years shooting bigger, heavier guns its hard to slow down enough to shoot one that light, at least that's my case.

Definitely lighter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto pattern the gun and try different chokes and loads to see how they shoot.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the gun is lighter or whippier as mentioned try moving your forward hand farther out this will change the moment and slow the gun down..
You are also going from 7/8 to 3/4 oz of shot this can effect your fringe hits

Posts: 1613 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I am gong to try and pattern the gun this weekend.

I really do not think the 20 vs 28 is the issue. I have other 28's that I shoot well, just as well as the 20's.

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
My guess is that my hit ratio is probably double on the Cordoba compared to the 28 ga. I know the drop is less on the Cordoba.

If drop is less on Cordoba it might be that you see more rib i.e. gun shoots higher and that you like to "float" the bird instead of covering it with flat shooting gun?

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 20 and the 28 Legacys have the exact same drop and LOP yet I shoot the 20 far better.

I need to find out or get rid of the gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get a weighted tube for the barrel also if you feel it is to whippy sometimes that helps

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
simple - you don't have enuf barrels Big Grin wave stir

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A sporting clays course I used to work at got a 28-gauge Legacy as a demo gun. I picked it up and I fell in love with it, it fit me like a dream and I thought I could carry it all day and not feel a thing. I took it to our 5-stand and shot a few boxes of shells with it. I couldn't hit anything! I tried a Beretta 28-gauge O/U and did much better with it than the Benelli. I don't know exactly why, I do know the trigger pull on that Benelli was terrible, but it fit me passably well. I was so perplexed I forgot all about getting the 28-gauge Legacy. So you are not the only one!

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Larry

It's a popular misciponception that gun fit "prescriptions" can be transferred between different shotguns, and it doesn't work like that.

You mention drop an LOP, but have you measured the cast? LOP is the least important dimension IMO (when talking to the last sixteenth) but becomes more important in the small bores.

Over all as stock shapes change down the gauges you will have mor wimp act from the cast of the gun than anything else.

There is also a huge difference in the style you need to employ to shoot the 28g well rather than the 20 gauge.

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JustinL01:
A sporting clays course I used to work at got a 28-gauge Legacy as a demo gun. I picked it up and I fell in love with it, it fit me like a dream and I thought I could carry it all day and not feel a thing. I took it to our 5-stand and shot a few boxes of shells with it. I couldn't hit anything! I tried a Beretta 28-gauge O/U and did much better with it than the Benelli. I don't know exactly why, I do know the trigger pull on that Benelli was terrible, but it fit me passably well. I was so perplexed I forgot all about getting the 28-gauge Legacy. So you are not the only one!

Interesting.

As far as I can tell, the 20 and the 28 are the same except for a very few ounces of weight. Thus my dilemma.

I have recently heard of a few people who had to send Benellis back because they didn't shoot straight. My 28 is being checked this week.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fallow Buck

There is also a huge difference in the style you need to employ to shoot the 28g well rather than the 20 gauge.

K

Kiri:

Can you elaborate?

I have no idea how to measure the cast.

posted Hide Post
I've had the same problem when I bought a 24" 20 Guage M2. I just could not hit anything with it and shot skeet in the LOW teens! It took around 5,000 rounds and a trip to Argentina to cure that problem. Then I bought a 20 gauge Cordoba with a 28" barrel. Because I have shot the M2 well for so long the Cordoba has a lower hit ratio. I believe it is the difference between the swing of the two different shotguns.

Posts: 16 | Location: Bonita, California | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it is 100% confirmed. The gun shoots low.

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Sorry Larry,

I didn't see your post, (been out and about for a while)

Basically due to the difference in weight and the difference in carried momentum between a 20 and a 28, I often see people (especially those that use a swing through style) struggle with the smaller gauges. This is generally because the same force applied from the arms to a lighter gun results in a more erratic swing.

The result of all this is that footwork, body alignment and over all errors in form are magnified in a small bore. Factor in the additional lighter loads and longer shot strings that smaller bores tend to have and you will find averages go down.

My suggestion to most guys, (and it is easier to demonstrate while you are sat under a flightline of doves... Wink ) is to tighten up the stance, practice footwork (in order to remove the dependency on the arms for swing), and generally shoot a maintained lead style rather than a push through as you would with a 12 or 20b. Also cut the tracking time down, so on 25yd+ targets as the stock hits the shoulder a short move and pull the trigger. Anything shorter than 25yds and you just mount on the target and shoot. If you are hitting the close targets then your form is good, if not then form and fit need to be examined.

Incidentally the same happens to many guys that go from shooting 12g O/U's to shooting 20g English guns due to the weight reduction and changed handling characteristics.

Generally the above is what I see in guys that are shooting scaled action small bores. The impact is much less for those shooting heavy for calibre modern guns.

Lastly if you raise the stock you will find your point of impact will rise into your line of sight which is a start but may not be the only thing to consider for a full fitting.

I hope that helps,
K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kiri.

I had no problem going from 12 to 20. I think the weight difference is MUCH greater going from 20 to 28.

It has been confirmed that the gun shoots about 6 inches low. It has been sent back to Benelli. Not sure what they have said . I need to check on it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

It has been confirmed that the gun shoots about 6 inches low. It has been sent back to Benelli. Not sure what they have said . I need to check on it.

Well there you go - makes perfect sense. All other things being equal, I'd expect pattern density to be lower on the 28 gauge vs the 20. But I can't imagine that would ever account for vast differences in ratio for an experienced shooter. Some difference at longer ranges, yes, but nothing like you were experiencing.

Posts: 661 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote