Find
Notify
Tools

Double guns
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted

Anybody shooting double guns any where in the world nowadays ? Or has it become a think of the past other than for the ultimate driven grouse shoot in Scotland or high volume partridge in Spain?

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I shoot a SxS for 90% of my shotgun shooting.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot everything but waterfowl with a double gun.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think matched pairs of doubles are not as popular as in the past, but there many doubles still being made.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be after grouse and woodcock next week with my Army & Navy sidelock. I have more doubles than I need,_most of us are guilty of such things.

Posts: 129 | Location: west MN | Registered: 22 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rglenz:
I'll be after grouse and woodcock next week with my Army & Navy sidelock. I have more doubles than I need,_most of us are guilty of such things.

What does need have to do with it?

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

I actually meant 'double guns' as in matched pairs as opposed to two pipes or a sxs. lol

Was thinking of the days when you would be shooting two shotguns with a loader stuffing / loading for you and so many birds in the air that you don't know where to go first !

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
I take my matched pair when going to a driven style shoot, whether it

is here in the US, Scotland, England or Spain. Having a matched pair & a good

loader can make quite a difference.

When I do high volume dove shooting in Argentina then I use their shotguns &

leave mine at home.

Jim

Posts: 519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a parker repro 20 gauge and love it IC and MOD for chokes.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Jungleboy, What pair have you got ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Charlie,

I double gun on grouse and quite a few partridge/pheasant days I really enjoy it I have my own loader and we travel a lot together in the UK and have a good laugh when I'm not double gunning he normally stuffs for me.

I currently use a pair of William Evans 12 bore, 30" barrels with a raised flat ribs and I am awaiting a pair of AYA no1 Deluxes to be delivered any day.

Posts: 174 | Location: Cumbria | Registered: 30 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Something I found in Germany .....

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

A pair of 1959 Sauers in 16 bore.

They now have a new home Wink

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Now you can shoot with one in each hand. Smiler

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Beautifull ,doubles ,good taste .
Recently Dave Fosberg aka ISH hunted at my farms using almost exclusively my doubles to harvest hundreds of pidgeons patriges and doves .
Cheers Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A set of doubles would be interesting and nice to own.

But in the US most hunting is free lance walk up hunting.

The need for a matched set is very limited.

But we all know real shotguns have two barrels and the bests ones are SxS.

Posts: 19360 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Charlie64,

That is a very nice set you have, mine are O/U's & I've been told, ideal for

driven pheasant, however they believe that SxS's are probably better for driven grouse.

Here's a link from a previous AR topic on Matched Pairs with a pic of my guns.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...781079412#9781079412

Good shooting! Jim

Posts: 519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot doves and quail with a 12 bore Francotte “Knock About”. It was reproved in Birmingham. If I ever go west for pheasant or north for grouse.

My father in law used Merkel 12 bore. It has 3inch chambers. I will take it turkey it turkey hunting.

Then there is the Browning Citoris 2 of them near identical but not a matched serial pair. He uses a Beretta 28 gauge, and I use a 20gague Beretta silver pigeons with minor wood upgrade.

Did not see the clarification for matched pair.

Posts: 10828 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir, I have used my pair of guns in Yorkshire for grouse and in Spain for partridge. Lots of fun!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a parker repro 20 gauge love it . Nice guns Charlie

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Hi Charlie several AR members brougth doubles to my farms ,i remember Billinthewild AYA ,ISH shot my RemingtonBernardelli ,Sgraves a Merkel,and several other brougth SbS,or used mine .
I love doubles althoug i curretly using a berettaa400 ultraligth getting old sucks and im trying to find the ligth shotgun of the world ....

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My double shotgun is a David Murray 12 bore hammer gun from Stonehaven, Scotland built in 1890, one of the first steel barrels of its kind. It has 30” barrels and is a Sidelock. I’ve owned it since 2002 and it has taken at least a thousand birds (probably more) to include quail, grouse, woodcock, pheasant, dove, and duck. Weighs in at 6.6 lbs, choked skeet/skeet. Never shot a gun that handles as well to include H&H, David McKay Brown, WC Scott, Merkels, Grulla, AYA.

Used it to shoot in the hammer gun division of The Vintagers Cup and it can be seen in the 2007 Fall Edition of Double Gun Journal along with my Gordon Setters.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Been hunting a Lefever 20 gauge for a decade. Took out a Browning BSS 12 gauge this year, got my limit. Even after having 2 roosters come up text book right in front of me with an unloaded gun!! Click click

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I used doubles all my life currently a Remington Europe made by Bernardelli .

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure if it qualifies but I have a SxS that has two sets of barrels, so does that count as a double?

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Only if you post more details and a picture!!!

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I use my Holland Paradox for pheasant and doves.

Posts: 1307 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Per the request, here are the potential double guns. they are double in the sense that both actions have two sets of barrels, depending on the intended use. the top one is a Model 21 16 gauge, engraved by Pauline Muerrle. Her engraving is excellent). The barrels are IC/M & M/F. Second is a superposed 20ga engraved and upgraded wood by Ken Hurst. The chokes are C/M and IC/F.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have a few but my favorite is a Urgarthcea 12 w/ st. stock + splinter fore end'chocked full/mod.She is very light + as any lovely dancer is a delight to swing.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
Hi Charlie several AR members brougth doubles to my farms ,i remember Billinthewild AYA ,ISH shot my RemingtonBernardelli ,Sgraves a Merkel,and several other brougth SbS,or used mine .
I love doubles althoug i curretly using a berettaa400 ultraligth getting old sucks and im trying to find the ligth shotgun of the world ....

Juan, as beautiful as doubles are, it is hard to argue with a Beretta A400. I got one in 20 gauge this year and love it. Getting another in 28 gauge for next season. The mallards will really be in trouble when I have the 28 gauge A400. They’re wonderful waterfowl guns.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Parker repro 28 and Bernardelli 20 for upland hunting.

A Bernardelli 20 is used for ducks and the occasional Canada that makes the mistake of flying too closely. All are straight stock and double triggers.

Repeaters are for self defense.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the UK most of us shoot double guns and about the only time you really see semi autos is on the marshes shooting wildfowl with non toxic shot.

A lot still use side by sides. Yesterday was on a local farmers phaesant shoot - a real mix of AyA No3's quite a few English / Scottish Boxlocks, and an Alex Martin (mine) and a Holland & Holland sidelock. Most guns are handed down through the family.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I cannot hit anything with a side by side!

I like over unders though.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66930 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've just sold my pair, a true pair, of 16 bore single trigger self-openers. I'm away to collect the cheque in two days time. I shall see out my remaining years with single guns. For most of what I'll do that'll be either my late father's Henry Clarke or my own Boss.

Posts: 6814 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Yes, Parkers:

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Enfieldspares, Please do tell more about the Boss ?