Find
Notify
Tools

Need lght load for 45 LC
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Lads,

My brother bought one of those Taurus Judges and wants me to laod some light, practice loads for him. I've got some lead bullets (200gr swc), but need a good powder/weight combo. He has lots of factory loads, but they hurt his poor widdle hands.

Also, some recommendations on crimp (light, med, heavy???).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Si vis pacem... parabellum

Posts: 236 | Location: MI's beautiful UP | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Try some midrange Titegroup loads with 250 gr. cast bullets and a heavy roll crimp. You can't get much lighter than that. In fact, in my opinion, all 45 Colt loads are pretty light.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used 5.8gr of unique under a200gr swc in the 45 colt and 45acp, both worked well. The 45 colt load was used in a 10" contender, and a .45/410 survivor. The recoil of this load feels ( to me ) like a .22rimfire, in the hand gun in the rifle there is no recoil. Hope this helps.... lost

Posts: 25 | Location: nc | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Try some Trail Boss.

Steve E......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought I would help here but you got some good info so far. BUT your kidding right 45 colt factory loads hurt????? maybe he needs his brother to take him out and show him proper shooting technique??or trade the gun for a 22 short/cb?
255 grains at BP velocitys are like shooting a 38. So unless he is shooting Corbons (which he shouldnt be in that gun) he needs a lesson.

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael A. Glass:
I've got some lead bullets (200gr swc)

Also, some recommendations on crimp (light, med, heavy???).

Speer's #14 lists 9 powders for their 200gr LSWC. Which powders do you have?

Also, they note: Firmly roll crimp over the bullet shoulder for reliable performance.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
I was just loading that same bullet tonight - 9.5 grains of Unique and a WLP primer in Winchester brass. In my Bisley, it's an accurate and mild recoiling load.

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check the cowboy action loads in most manuals. They get pretty low. Hogdon has 4 sissy loads listed for 200 gr lead. My problem is finding a load between cowboy action and modern revolvers for my bond arms derringer. My 454 casull doesn't hurt but my derringer with a decent load does!!

Posts: 64 | Location: MS & Louisiana | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the c-boy loads are light.
6 grs titegroup or 5 of clays is about as light as you can get.
7 grs of unique won't seal the brass to the chamber but is light also.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.0 grs Trail Boss, works well with 200 and 230 bullets.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
6.0 grs Trail Boss, works well with 200 and 230 bullets.

2nd...

http://www.imrpowder.com/data/...railboss-feb2005.php

from the horses mouth

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote