New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who makes Kentucky long rifles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do you know someone who makes these iconic rifles? Looking for a shooter and one that looks good.
Thanks!

Posts: 10079 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I hope you get some good results on this I am not in the market but am always a fan of old-world craftsmanship. I have a family heirloom that is along the same lines + the history is always interesting. I am fortunate to also have the bullet mould + powder horn along with the pictures of every elder passing on the rifle to the next generation since the awn of photography.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
One place to start is Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading (TVM). They have several types that can be customized to your preferences.

https://www.tvmnatchez.com/

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2785 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Jim Kibler, Marvin Kemper, Clay Smith, Williams Flintlocks, Lowell Haarer.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Another source is to pickup a copy of Muzzleloader magazine. Besides having some interesting articles on traditional muzzleloaders it's also where many builders advertise.

http://www.muzzleloadermag.com/

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2785 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have built many of them; PM me your email and I will send you a picture of one I have for sale. It is a 54 cal, fast twist, 100% curly maple stock. Flintlock of course. Cap locks are too modern and unreliable.

Posts: 17007 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another source is to pickup a copy of Muzzleloader magazine. Besides having some interesting articles on traditional muzzleloaders it's also where many builders advertise.

Agreed. I subscribed to Muzzleloader for over 10 years and it does have some great rifle makers advertising there as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Link

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9337 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A link for longrifle learning:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php

A link of interest with longrifle photo(s):

http://americanlongrifles.org/...ex.php?topic=56733.0

A link for longrifle buying & selling:

http://americanlongrifles.org/.../index.php?board=7.0

with longrifles, by Allen Martin. Eric Kettenburg, Chuck Edwards(a NC/TN iron mounted stunner) and others...

Good luck!

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a custom built I can highly recommend Tim Williams in West Virginia. Tim’s rifles are built to be hunted and shot, shoot really well, and carry and look great. Tim is also a pleasure to work with. Check him out at www.williamsflintlocks.com.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I have heard very good things about the Kibler rifles.
I have a Marshfield (club butt) fowler built for me by Mike Brooks, who I can personally recommend.
https://mikebrooksflintlocks.com/

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16271 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been building full-time since 2000 ..

allenmartinrifles.com

Posts: 343 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have been building them since 1969; but not commercially. Here is a couple I built; I have built several Northwest Trade guns; mostly as rifles as I don't want to build a smooth bore; all originals are smooth bores and plain wood.
The Virginia is curly Ash.

Posts: 17007 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Just so lovely seeing them here, and not just on the phone! Beautiful craftsmanship Tom.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16271 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Allen, I just looked at your gallery. That "simple" John Rupp rifle is outstanding.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That's some beautiful work from both of you.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6348 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote