Find
Notify
Tools

.58 caliber double rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted
I have 58 cal double rifle that has never even been loaded though I have had it for four or five years. Any one have any advice as to load powder weight, and a proper mold for this rifle for a starting load to work up to a regulation load.

..................... oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Vintage one? Or a Kodiak? I have had 4 of them if it is a new one. Actually went to the range today with a 54. And I have owned a 58; stupidly sold it.
So, tell me if it is new or not first.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Vintage one? Or a Kodiak? I have had 4 of them if it is a new one. Actually went to the range today with a 54. And I have owned a 58; stupidly sold it.
So, tell me if it is new or not first.

Yes It is a new one, and I traded a Ruger No1 458 win mag for it so I could use the muzzleloader on public land in Texas with a special license for the Texas elderly citizens to hunt on 1000000 acres of state land restricted to muzzle loaders. It is TC side by side cap-lock. I have several muzzleloaders but I like to hunt with my double rifles and this is my only M/L double rifle.

.................................... old MacD37

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac, PM Bear Cat. He has at least one of them.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
TC side by side? I will have to look that one up. I have only owned the Pedersoli Kodiaks. And one CVA.
I don't know what the twist is on those.
I use 80 grains of Goex ffg and a Maxi bullet in my 54.
When I had a 58 I would use all kinds of bullets in that; sabots with 45 pistol bullets, 500 grain mini bullets, round balls, and a Lee REAL bullet.
Always with DuPont and later Goex ffg. 80 to 100 grains. The 58s were lighter and do kick with a 500 grain mini bullet made for rifle muskets. But I like the 58 best.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Can you post a picture; this is a new one on me; I can't find a TC double.
Here is one of my Kodiaks (Pedersolli) in .54. I figure yours is one like this. The new ones have pistol grips and a fast twist for sabots. Older ones have straight grips and a slow twist. These are not regulated, and the early ones have two sights, one for each barrel. So, if you can get both barrels to hit the same place, as they do on this .54, you are very lucky. Most won't. Which is why they don't cost $5000.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you post a picture; this is a new one on me; I can't find a TC double.
Here is one of my Kodiaks (Pedersolli) in .54. I figure yours is one like this. The new ones have pistol grips and a fast twist for sabots. Older ones have straight grips and a slow twist. These are not regulated, and the early ones have two sights, one for each barrel. So, if you can get both barrels to hit the same place, as they do on this .54, you are very lucky. Most won't. Which is why they don't cost $5000.

Sorry about that, I made a mistake on that rifle it is a Pedersolli not a TC. I Have a couple pf TCs as well but the Ped is the one that I have never fired or even loaded and have had it for about five years. I hunt in the USA mostly with my cartridge double rifles.
Like you I have a boat load of cartridge double rifles but now at 84 years of age I forget lots of things, and though I have several muzzle loader rifles and pistols that I have not fired in 10 yrs or more. Sorry about my mistake, but thank you for your quick response to my misguided question.
....................................... old MacD37

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Quite all right; I knew you had a Pedersoli. Go shoot it. Doesn't matter what with, and I would start with round balls, then if you want something heavier, go to conicals.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the 58 with minie bullets. But with that gun I think I would try patched round balls. They do kill all out of proportion to what they look like. I think the dead soft lead has a lot to do with passing on the energy. A double would be more of a good think. I think I would try the conicals after shooting the RB to see what shot the best and what I like. Good luck with the double. I always wanted to get a double 58 but really didn't like the double sight idea. Be Well, Packy.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Quite all right; I knew you had a Pedersoli. Go shoot it. Doesn't matter what with, and I would start with round balls, then if you want something heavier, go to conicals.

Thanks! I have a Pedersoli cartridge double rifle that started out as a 45-70 that would place two bullets side by side at 100 yds. I made the mistake of re-chambering it for a wildcat cartridge 458-RCBS that totally destroyed regulation. That was a real mistake because that rifle was no 43 made by pedersoli' I will have that one re-regulated because I love hunting with that rifle as well.

Thank you dpcd, for your help! I will try some round patched balls with the M/L pedersoli and try to work up a regulating load for it as well.
...................................... oldMacD37

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by packrattusnongratus:
I enjoyed the 58 with minie bullets. But with that gun I think I would try patched round balls. They do kill all out of proportion to what they look like. I think the dead soft lead has a lot to do with passing on the energy. A double would be more of a good think. I think I would try the conicals after shooting the RB to see what shot the best and what I like. Good luck with the double. I always wanted to get a double 58 but really didn't like the double sight idea. Be Well, Packy.

Pack, thank you as well for your suggestions above. I will simply start a work-up for that M/L Pedersoli and see how that turns out.

..................................... oldMacD37

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Good luck with that MacD. I hope you are successful. Be Well. oPacky.