New
Find
Notify
Tools

I got to shoot the new Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Today I got a chance to shoot the new rifle and I decided to go straight to 100 yards. I shot my 408 gr RCBS 11mm rifle bullets paper patched. I was using 80 gr of powder measured. With an over sized over powder wad.

The wind was off and on but not super hard. Not knowing where to set the sight I just shot one with the sight setting set at 0-0. That ended up with a bullet into the dirt that threw gravel into my targets. If you see some tiny holes it was from that. After some shooting to get it on the paper I was finally close. By this time the sun was fully behind me.

This is where my sight was set for 100 yards. If I understand Lee's numbers that one is .016

I was struggling with windage. I would be 2" to the left. Then I was 2" to the right. What I realized was I was not seeing the bubble right.

So after figuring out that I needed to shade the front sight a bit more. I shot my second group.

That group was right at 2" neighborhood.

I was very happy with the way the gun shoots without playing with loads. That load has been my standard load that I have recommended for barrels like this one.

I worked the trigger over and the set trigger is perfect with no creep and is set at 10 ounces.

I haven't shot groups in years. All I shoot is steel and over cross sticks. Going back to shooting my targets I can tell I need a different target. The one target I printed only printed half and it was very hard to see.

I got to be honest I am having more trouble seeing the target than I used to. That is disappointing for me to admit.

All in all the new rifle is starting out great and I am happy with it. Next time I hope to get out to 150 and 200 yards.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting! tu2 Yes, it's hard to admit the issue about seeing the target. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I have trouble seeing targets I bought a few years back that I got a good deal on. I bought a bunch. Recently I picked up a package of 5 inch black shoot-an-see paste on targets and stick one in the center. Much easier to sight in now.

What powder are you using?

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Nice looking gun. Regarding seeing the targets, have you looked into a "Merit Optical Attachment"? They actually work pretty good.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7756 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greetings: looks interesting. Just curious as to what barrel you are using. Cheers luke

Posts: 350 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigluke:
Greetings: looks interesting. Just curious as to what barrel you are using. Cheers luke

It is a Green Mountain 45 cal LRH stainless steel. It has a 1-30 twist.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote