New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mag-Spark nipples
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone used this, I been investigating and like most evey damn thing with black powder you get a barrage of conflicting statements.. shocker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one on my Thompson Hawken.
I use a magnum 209 but the option is there to use a standard primer also.

It works great with Blackhorn 209 powder. No hesitation when the hammer hits. Instant firing like a centerfire

one of us
posted Hide Post
In Idaho they are not legal for Muzzleloader hunts. They are legal on short range hunts.
To be honest if the gun is properly maintained a guy doesn't need anything more than a #11 cap.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I imagine ignition would be good, but reloads will be much slower.

I've not had enough problems with regular caps to make me think this sort of conversion is a big advantage.

I use musket caps on my TC Renegade, and still use #11's on my Black Knight.

My wife's Disc Elite uses 209's but doesn't perform any better than mine although the discs make reloading easy.

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I need a hotter spark on one of my 58s Im pretty sure, so what is the best musket Nipple?

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need a hotter spark on one of my 58s Im pretty sure, so what is the best musket Nipple?

I don't think one brand is any better than another.
Stainless steel seems to hold up better though.

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, I am curious as to why you think you need a hotter spark?

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All the experts recommend it on the 58 calibers it seems..I use a musket cap on the Navy Arms buffalo hunter and it never seems to fail..The gun builders Ive talked to say it saves those rare instances wherein you get fttth on a prize bull once in a lifetime elk..Sounds like a plan to me, why not would be my question I guess.

However its moot as I said in my last post, I had to put my rope horse down, so Im selling all but the old 54 PG hunter/rifle (switch barrel gun) Later this year after I find a horse I intend to build myself a custom 58 Hawken switch barrel gun..Never built a ML, but it looks much easier than the custom rifles Ive been building over the years..I do see a need to take a long look at the ignition and keep it legal for Idaho..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a video covering loading, cleaning, and shooting traditional muzzleloaders. Maybe this is stuff you already know but I have shot these rifles for 40 plus years. I have never had to use a cap hotter than a #11 CCI mag. When cleaned and loaded correctly there just isn't a need for anything more. Here is a link to the video.

https://youtu.be/ibU-5uCuy_I

one of us
posted Hide Post
I could be all wrong here but...It seems to me that the mag spark adds a wet weather advantage to a traditional muzzle loader not available with a traditional external cap?

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's what I was thinking..Sometimes I hunt elk in the Yellowstone area sometimes in a foot or two of snow although Ive not had a misfire there so far, but lot of old timers have and they been shooting MLs a long time. Mostly they like musket caps it seems..I do see the mag spark as waterproof but slow to reload, but MLs are pretty slow anyway..?????

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whole lotta bs in that vid.
Plus he left the cap off the powder bottle when he fired the gun too. Hey what??

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote