New
Find
Notify
Tools

new muzzleloader results
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, I had Luke from Arrowhead sporting goods build me a new mzldr last year. I have been shooting savage ml 10 for a number of years. The main farm I hunt only allows archery or mzlder, no high power rifles. So here in Virginia that leaves me from early nov till early jan with mzldr, it gets some use to say the least. So I did a 45cal barell, 23" brux, and use 45 cal parker match hunter hollow base bullets in 275 gr. It is so nice to eliminate the sabot, what I have always considered a weak link. I swage each bullet with a die provide by Luke. It took app 30 rounds until I found the size my barrel like the bullets swaged to. I am using 6 gr of clays down the pipe first and then 66 gr of imp 4198 on top. Hundred yard of lead sled yields 1 hole about the size of a quarter. I believe it is traveling in the area of 2800 fps. Never did I have a miss fire, probably due to the clays. I do not fire rifle at end of each day. I leave it in the truck so it warms up and cool down with the weather, not going in and out of the house. We built it on rely mzlder action and out a boys stock on it.
If any body is thinking of going down this route, I can strongly recommend it. I killed 14 deer with it this past year.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote