Find
Notify
Tools

My weekend grab....first Flintlock!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Did some trading at last weekends gun show and picked up this .54 Flintlock.

Built by Butch Foreman of Andrews Tx...apparently he was a well known Rendezvous-goer and muzzleloader fanatic. He had apprenticed under Jack Garner of Corinth, Mississippi. Using Siler Locks, Davis Triggers...and either Douglas, Green Mountain or Colraine barrels. Unfortunately he had passed away in 2014.

It's a beautiful gun. I am going to order some English Flint for it and some ffffg (this is my first flinter)...should shoot plenty good to scare a hog with!

I can't get the photos to embed but here is the link to my pictures.

https://imgur.com/a/dHRGnPA

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nice; nothing like shooting a flint lock; they aren't as unreliable as most think.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
They can become most addicting. Have fun with your rock lock!

Pictures would be appropriate. Wink

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pics are under the Imgur link in original post. One of these in the same caliber is on my wish list.

Now you need a matching 36 cal squirrel rifle.

Posts: 10606 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Now you need a matching 36 cal squirrel rifle.

Good idea buddy Big Grin That would be a lot of fun

*edit*

This one looks like a good match Big Grin

https://www.trackofthewolf.com...l.aspx/505/1/AAR-501

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
That is one fine looking flinter!

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Looks like a really honest hunting rifle in a hard-working caliber. You'll love a tuned Siler lock.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thanks yall!

Bill - I hope so! I love .54 cal to begin with..so when I saw the wood and talked with the gun dealer about the rifle I knew I had to find some things to come back with the next day and get it!

Finding a good lock has been what kept me from buying a Flintlock before now..I wanted a custom rifle so that it had good components to begin with over a cheaper big-box store flintlock. Can't wait to try it out!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fell asleep at the wheel. Did not mean to ignore you. That 36 caliber is perfect assuming Bore is clean. If you get it or one like it bring it to Kentucky, and I will show you how to bark a squirrel.

Posts: 10606 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote