Find
Notify
Tools

Gunwerks Muzzleloader
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone ever shot one?

Posts: 11902 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did'nt know they made them.

Posts: 556 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not familar with gunwerks, ut I a, familar with muzzleloaders that burn smokeless powder.Luke from Arrowhead rifles out of AZ built mine for a fraction of the price gunwerks is advertising. Love mine, killed with it tonight snd last week amd week before
Be glad to answer any questions

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
What Brent said.

I've been shooting RemPacs since 2014. Remington 700ML action with Pacnor barrel. Cost about $2,000. 45 caliber 200 gr. SST at 2700 FPS using 60 gr. H4198. 3/8" groups at 100 yards. 3" high at 100 yards; 8 1/2" low at 300 yards. Zero to 250 yards hold dead on deer and squeeze. Mine have been built by Rich DeSimone in NC. Latest build weighs 7# 6oz..

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1695 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To me the weak points of modern muzzleloaders were the sabot and the firing caps
I have a die that i use to seage my bullets that actually oits grooves in the bullet to match grooves in barrel. Use a spin jag amd the bullet drops into place on the powder load. No stupid piece of plastic that is not very uniform.
Mine uses 209 primers, but the system is far improved on from the factory version. Alot of guys using large magnum primers as well.
This is by far and away from traditional muzzleloading, that is completely different sort of fun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen.

I have a Johnston's Ultimate Muzzleloader. This is the gun the Remington is based upon.

Until recently, I have found it to be very accurate and a solid gun. To be candid, I wounded and lost 2 bucks with it this year. Both were really close (less than 50 yards). Last year, I dropped a buck dead in his tracks at 309 yards. As such, wounding on a simple shot was perplexing and disturbing.

It was bad enough to wound them. It was even worse because I could have easily, under normal circumstances, have taken a second shot. I can't get the gun loaded. I broke two plastic bullet starters and bent a metal one trying to reload it. It is insanely tight.

Without going through all the grizzly detail, I knew something was wrong. The scope is shot ( a Leopold Vari X 6 I think). It was 8 inches low and 4 inches to the right at 23 yards. In over 40 shots, we could not get it on paper at 100 yards. The gun shop confirms that scope had a major internal problem.

I think the tight barrel is also a problem. I think it is causing accuracy issues. I have been given two different opinions on this, well actually three sort of.

One is that the barrel is dirty. I have tried to clean it as instructed. The patches are clean when I quit. Sort of an off shoot of this is that some think there is a plastic build up in the barrel. I cleaned it and had a gun shop clean it. They said no build up.

I see a video on line of people shooting this very same gun. I see them loading to make a second shot. There ain't one chance in hell that they could load mine like that.

One person is of the opinion that the sabots have gotten harder over time. Perhaps that is true.

What I do know for fact is that I will never hunt with this gun again unless I solve these problems.

All of this is magnified ten fold when one is 30 feet up a tree with a climbing stand trying to reload a balky rifle.

Thanks again.

Posts: 11902 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Larry

What Brent said is correct. I do have one SML for full form bullets. Makes things more simple. That being said, I have no problem with loads with "stupid" sabots. Same sabots now 7 years old. Don't feel any harder. Shoot just as well as new. Just saying. Don't wish to get in a pissing contest. Stay safe y'all! Smiler

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1695 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,
This is exactly why I like to swage my bullets, so they fit my rifle. The device luke sent me fits into my reloading press and is adjustable in diameter. So you can make them smaller. You can get them full form with grooves or smooth bore

quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Thanks gentlemen.

I have a Johnston's Ultimate Muzzleloader. This is the gun the Remington is based upon.

Until recently, I have found it to be very accurate and a solid gun. To be candid, I wounded and lost 2 bucks with it this year. Both were really close (less than 50 yards). Last year, I dropped a buck dead in his tracks at 309 yards. As such, wounding on a simple shot was perplexing and disturbing.

It was bad enough to wound them. It was even worse because I could have easily, under normal circumstances, have taken a second shot. I can't get the gun loaded. I broke two plastic bullet starters and bent a metal one trying to reload it. It is insanely tight.

Without going through all the grizzly detail, I knew something was wrong. The scope is shot ( a Leopold Vari X 6 I think). It was 8 inches low and 4 inches to the right at 23 yards. In over 40 shots, we could not get it on paper at 100 yards. The gun shop confirms that scope had a major internal problem.

I think the tight barrel is also a problem. I think it is causing accuracy issues. I have been given two different opinions on this, well actually three sort of.

One is that the barrel is dirty. I have tried to clean it as instructed. The patches are clean when I quit. Sort of an off shoot of this is that some think there is a plastic build up in the barrel. I cleaned it and had a gun shop clean it. They said no build up.

I see a video on line of people shooting this very same gun. I see them loading to make a second shot. There ain't one chance in hell that they could load mine like that.

One person is of the opinion that the sabots have gotten harder over time. Perhaps that is true.

What I do know for fact is that I will never hunt with this gun again unless I solve these problems.

All of this is magnified ten fold when one is 30 feet up a tree with a climbing stand trying to reload a balky rifle.

Thanks again.