THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BULLETMAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Bullet Making    Accuracy difference between .451 and .452 in 45 Colt

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accuracy difference between .451 and .452 in 45 Colt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted
I bought 2,000 250 grain copper plated bullets sized .451 from Extreme just see how accurate they are. Using 8.5 grains of Unique, Winchester primers, Starline brass and a tight neck and crimp.
With the first hundred rounds I noticed that the S&W #25, 5 inch was a whole lot dirtier then when I shot 250 grain cast bullets, sized .454. For the next range session I loaded some 230 grain Extreme hollow points sized .452, same powder charge 8.5 grains of Unique. The grouping was tighter and the S&W #25 was cleaner
That gave me the idea to run the 250 grain .451 through the Corbin .452 SWC dies and see if there was any improvement.
I swaged the bullets last night and loaded the bullets using the same 8.5 grains of Unique as the others.
I'll do the shooting tomorrow night at indoor range at the same 25 yards. I'll report back tomorrow evening.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well be interesting to hear your results

Posts: 19306 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
After eating dinner tonight I'll have an answer.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Well, the un-swaged 250 grain copper plated bullets, in a 6 inch S&W model 25 shot a bit high and an inch to the left of center in a one inch wide by four inch long group per ten shots. The swaged 250 grain copper plated bullets shot a bit high to the right in a two inch circle per ten shots.
I've not changed the sights from the setting that I used for 250 grain SWC, sized .454, same powder charge, etc.
Sunday morning will try a couple hundred rounds thru the S&Ws and the Colt Anaconda and see how they do.

Jim

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Fired the swaged 250 grain copper plated in the Colt Anaconda with good results, 2 inches off hand at 25 yards. A bit high and left of center.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always found that Unique left residue in revolvers. Not a lot but enough to be noticed.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I've found that when I use Unique with cast bullets sized to the recommended diameter I have the same result. When I size my 45 Colt bullets and size them .454 not a problem. I clean the 45 Colts every 1,000 rounds. 357 I size to .359. 44 Special .435. 45 acp/45 Auto Rim .453.
I think the problem is the cast bullet sized as recommended does not supply the correct resistance.
Just my SWAG.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
doesn't make any difference if the throats are huge, like Rugers, and most Colts. I've measured them as big as .456".

Imagine the bullet expanding to fill the the throat, then hitting/swaging down in the forcing cone, and then swaging back down a little more to bore diameter...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive found unique to leave minimal residue, but 2400 is another story.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
use just the tip of your finger in the trigger and that high left should come pretty close to center! Only works with pistols.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41752 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote