THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BULLETMAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Bullet Making    New Design Bullet - Can Be Loaded Either Way......

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Design Bullet - Can Be Loaded Either Way......
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
I was some 338 caliber bullets the other day on our CNC machine, and after having made the number I wanted, a friend asked for some 308 bullets.

I thought I will try something new, so I designed a bullet that can be used either way.

One end has a hollow point, and the other end is solid.

When the first bullet came off the machine, he started laughing, and said "what is this?"

I told him what my idea was, and he laughed even more.

I will post photos, and I am hoping to try them later next month, as I will be travelling in a few days time.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66681 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a logical idea.
Handloader magazine had an article a couple years ago about loading bullets backward and the resulting accuracy was pretty good.
Since you are machining these bullets, I wouldn't expect any distortion of the hollow tip when loaded backwards as a non-hollowpoint.
That is where accuracy will die, if the tail gets distorted in some way.
Makes me think of a nice Torpedo shaped cigar.
Maybe a bullet with a boat tail at both ends and not really a spire shape?

Posts: 3231 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cutting Edge Bullets already does this.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:

Peeps been doing this for at least 50 years. Maybe Saeed's actually works well vs most others.

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DOPPELGANGSTER:
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:

Peeps been doing this for at least 50 years. Maybe Saeed's actually works well vs most others.

I just worked up a load with the Cutting edge jobs loaded but forward to use as solids and they shoot damn fine!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, why not? A football is pointed on both ends, and a spiral motion gives it stability. Only concern would be how powder pressures would work against a pointed rear profile, unless a flat-based sabot was used.

Posts: 20067 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Just add Annular Rings on the bullet like Barnes. Problem solved. Looking forward to Saeed's report.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Saeed- any results to report? Seemingly off-the-wall ideas like this are intriguing.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first bullet used where one could load it any way, was far more versatile than just loading it two ways. It was developed in the 1750s and one could load it forwards, backwards, sideways or anywhere in between. It was called a ball. hilbily

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerard:
The first bullet used where one could load it any way, was far more versatile than just loading it two ways. It was developed in the 1750s and one could load it forwards, backwards, sideways or anywhere in between. It was called a ball. hilbily

Big Grin

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G beat you to it, DG. Pretty funny.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
pictures...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've loaded milsurp FMJ 223 backwards quite a bit. I've killed sage rats, rock chucks out as far as 250 yds or so. Works just as good as a VMax or BalTip.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
50 years ago we made "defense" hollow points by loading hollow base wad cutters backwards for our 38s. Sounds like the same idea to me.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Berry's makes a double ended bullet with their
plated coating. Seems like one end has a HP, the other flat.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5934 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago on another forum there was to be a custom mold made by Lee in .17 cal for pellet rifles. This bullet was going to be heavy and be the hammer of Thor. Possibly just short of being suitable for Capes. The bullets tumbled. The designer of the mold claimed the mold was modified from what he designed. Someone in South America claimed good accuracy if loaded backwards. I tried it and perhaps so so accuracy and almost no penetration.

Posts: 3795 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote