Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Still looking for 257 flat point
 Login/Join

posted
I'm still looking for a .257 Flat point bullet for my 25-35 94 Winchester. This bullet needs to be Jacketed not cast, suitable for good expansion on deer sized game not a varmint style bullet, and 85/90/95/or 100 grains in weight.

Someone out there must know of some somewhere. I can't be the only one looking for this bullet, can I?? I looked into getting into swaging from Corbin but the initial cost was prohibative for just this one bullet.

Thenks,
Ed

Posts: 14 | Location: California | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Load Partitions backwards.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I make jacketed Round Nose .257s. Would they do?

Posts: 10 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Savage 99,
Have you ever tried this before? Do i need to worry about leaving the jacket in the barrel as the center of the bullet blows out? As you can tell, i have never tried this before and am somewhat skepticle.

Paul S.,
This sure sounds intriging.Could you tell me some more about the round nose bullet you make?
Could you possibly post a photo? Perhaps you could send me a couple so i can examine(fondle)
the little beauties?
Thanks,
Ed

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes I have shot bullets backwards before. The Partition should stay together no matter which way it is shot and why not?

Its true that some old Partitions had a tiny hole connecting the two cavities but the new ones are solids.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Lever Ed, yes I could send you a few. Send me your address, and the prefered weight. By the way, I make .416 partition jackets and the bullets therefrom from .065" tube, and as long as that " little hole" in the partition wall is less than 50% closed, no problem in shooting the cores out. I believe Mr D. Corbin mentions, in one of his books on common Tube jacket making, that the hole in the heal of the formed jacket doesn't cause any " shoot-out" problems as long as the swager ensures the hole is reasonably small.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul S.:
I make jacketed Round Nose .257s. Would they do?

Paul just tap the nose of the bullet to faltten it

once you finish the bullet bonded and point formed thread in a top punch one thats wide and mount a block of metal or somthing on the bottom die so the bullet can sit on top the die but not in the die then just pull the handle and rase the bullet up to the top punch and flatten the nose evenly all the same way .
Just dont go over board you can cause the bullet to expand over the desired diameter

Martin

P.S

Try here

RCE.co

.257 Four Die Set The set includes the core swage die, core seat die, a 6S point form die, and a lead tip reform die. The tip reform die can also be used to close the opening in the bullet point a little more. The set is made to use with J4 jackets. $425.00

The press costs about 250.00 .
you could asked richard over the phone to part out this die set in favor of one with a flat point for about 350.00 for the die set

jackets are cheap for that small of diameter
contact butch hairfield. or ask richard for his emaill address

Martin

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Lever Ed, I've sent you an email w/picture of some of the samples you wanted to see. Will mail the samples tomorrow after hearing from you.

posted Hide Post
Thanka Paul. I've e-mailed you.
Ed