New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making a Swage Press
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With lead swaging, you adjust the stroke. The excess being squirted out a relief hole keeping the weight uniform.
With jacketed bullets, you can stall your hydraulic supply, either by a bleed off or by adjusting your regulator because you are not adjusting weight.
One AND valve is your safety circiut, and 1/16th ID tubing and a quick exhaust valve keeps cost down and speed up.
To troubleshoot, turn off the radio and listen for a leak.
Thinking about this..........you can get rid of the hydraulic hose..........
Let me think some more..........

Posts: 433 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James Kain:
quote:
Originally posted by kend:
quote:
Originally posted by James Kain:
ALL feed back welcome!

While you're in school look into a spelling class.

Pop shots not welcome. flame

beer

Ok lol

Posts: 385 | Location: Brunswick, GA | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To the OP:
Purchased or self made dies, or both?
lead or jacketed or both?
Compressed air or electric hydraulic pump?
If you make most of it inline wear will be kept to a minimum.
What are your choises for machines ?
What are your choises for materials?
Can you heat treat?
How fine can you ID grind?
What is your build window?
Do you get prints approved first or can you reverse engineer?
I am a computer idiot. can you PM a phone so I don't have to type on this phone so much?

Posts: 433 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, just wondering if you all seen my thread over at cast boolits on making a swage press? I was in the same situation last year and ended up making my own.

Another gentleman was even good enough to draw up a set of prints.

http://www.castboolits.gunload...owthread.php?t=76514

Posts: 1 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Been thinking of making a press myself. I really like the manual design as the two above.
Hydraulic would be smooth and powerful but the pump, plumbing, valves etc up the complexity and cost.

The other day I had the need to use my Landcruiser jack.
It is a manual jack that lifts as a hydraulic ram does but is actuated with a crank handle instead of a pumping type handle.
This ram, hooked to an electric motor would be a nice compact and very simple one to use. The travel looked to be about 6-7 inches. Must be pretty powerful too seeing as a landcruiser is quite a pig.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do the manual presses for cast bullets have enough poop to equalize bullet weight?
Or are we just making jacketed bullets.

Hydraulic press can be made to use comressed air for the hydraulic pressure and I think I can do it with only one hose, possibly none.

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
I want to do both. I m busy but, I do read your new posts!

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish someone would put out some plans for one of these.......I ordered one over two years ago and I'm still waiting........Kiwi