THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Marijuana usage study......(summation)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marijuana usage study......(summation) Login/Join 
one of us
posted
quote:
Five intriguing marijuana finds

However, a recently released study from Dr. Wayne Hall, a the director of the Centre for Youth Substance Abuse Research at the University of Queensland, sheds new light, both good and bad, on long-term marijuana use.

Hall's study examined the effect of marijuana over a 20-year period (1993-2013), and was made possible by the fact that recreational cannabis use has risen, and stronger cannabis has become available in recent years. Hall's review notes that between 1980 and 2006, the amount of THC found in marijuana increased more than fourfold to 8.5% from less than 2%.

Specifically, Hall's review led to five intriguing findings about marijuana.

1. It's essentially impossible to overdose on marijuana
One of the most common comments I've received in my research into medical marijuana from readers is that "no one has ever overdosed from smoking marijuana." This turns to out to practically be true, according to Hall's review. The study points out that it would take between 15 grams and 70 grams of marijuana to cause someone to overdose, which is an amount higher than even a heavy user could consume in a day.

By comparison, opioid analgesics, which are commonly used to treat pain, one of the indications for which marijuana is typically prescribed, led to 16,007 deaths in 2012 based on data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In other words, the implication is that marijuana might be a solution to dramatically reducing opioid-related overdose deaths.

2. Marijuana use and driving don't mix
We know that drinking and driving don't mix, but Dr. Hall's study, which included a meta-analysis of drivers who smoked and a control group that didn't, definitively showed that smoking marijuana nearly doubles your risk of an accident.

Why does this matter? A number of states are beginning to legalize marijuana for recreational use, so there's concern we could see an increase in accidents caused by marijuana. Further, the review in Australia notes that public education about the dangers of driving under the influence of marijuana may not be enough to deter drivers. There would have to be a real fear of their cannabis use being detected by law enforcement in order to get drivers to give up their keys.

3. Cannabis addiction exists, especially in adolescents
A good chunk of negative marijuana studies focus on the drugs' effect in adolescents. It turns out that those fears may be on target. Per Dr. Hall's review, cannabis addiction does exist, and it's more prevalent in adolescents than adults. One in 10 adults who use marijuana on a regular basis become addicted to it compared to one in six adolescents.

4. Marijuana can negatively impact your IQ
It turns out that marijuana can actually lower your IQ as well, but according to the review, only if you're a heavy marijuana user. The study notes that "these effects on IQ were only found in the small proportion of cannabis users who initiated in adolescence and persisted in daily use throughout their 20s and into their 30s." This news mirrors a recent abstract we examined that showed marijuana users on average had a slightly lower IQ than non-users.

In addition to potentially lower IQs, the review also suggests that cannabis use is strongly associated with the use of other illicit drugs.

5. Marijuana's long-term effect on respiratory health is inconclusive
Lastly, Dr. Hall's study also brought up one glaring inconclusive finding: that being whether smoking marijuana had a negative effect on the users' respiratory function. Previous studies have gone both ways on this question, and this review notes that there's no conclusive evidence that smoking marijuana will lead to reduced respiratory function or respiratory cancer. The primary reason this turned out inconclusive is because most marijuana users were also smoking tobacco products, making it impossible to differentiate the effect on the body of one from the other.

Based on the study's findings, the outlook for medical marijuana and recreational marijuana is widely bifurcated.

With inconclusive data on the long-term respiratory effects of marijuana, and given the fact that a person's chances of overdosing from marijuana are extremely slim, it potentially strengthens the case for exploring marijuana's medical benefit profile. Let's remember that marijuana can be absorbed a number of ways beyond smoking, so the respiratory concern can possibly be eliminated.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:
Five intriguing marijuana finds

However, a recently released study from Dr. Wayne Hall, a the director of the Centre for Youth Substance Abuse Research at the University of Queensland, sheds new light, both good and bad, on long-term marijuana use.

Hall's study examined the effect of marijuana over a 20-year period (1993-2013), and was made possible by the fact that recreational cannabis use has risen, and stronger cannabis has become available in recent years. Hall's review notes that between 1980 and 2006, the amount of THC found in marijuana increased more than fourfold to 8.5% from less than 2%.

Specifically, Hall's review led to five intriguing findings about marijuana.

1. It's essentially impossible to overdose on marijuana
One of the most common comments I've received in my research into medical marijuana from readers is that "no one has ever overdosed from smoking marijuana." This turns to out to practically be true, according to Hall's review. The study points out that it would take between 15 grams and 70 grams of marijuana to cause someone to overdose, which is an amount higher than even a heavy user could consume in a day.

By comparison, opioid analgesics, which are commonly used to treat pain, one of the indications for which marijuana is typically prescribed, led to 16,007 deaths in 2012 based on data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In other words, the implication is that marijuana might be a solution to dramatically reducing opioid-related overdose deaths.

2. Marijuana use and driving don't mix
We know that drinking and driving don't mix, but Dr. Hall's study, which included a meta-analysis of drivers who smoked and a control group that didn't, definitively showed that smoking marijuana nearly doubles your risk of an accident.

Why does this matter? A number of states are beginning to legalize marijuana for recreational use, so there's concern we could see an increase in accidents caused by marijuana. Further, the review in Australia notes that public education about the dangers of driving under the influence of marijuana may not be enough to deter drivers. There would have to be a real fear of their cannabis use being detected by law enforcement in order to get drivers to give up their keys.

3. Cannabis addiction exists, especially in adolescents
A good chunk of negative marijuana studies focus on the drugs' effect in adolescents. It turns out that those fears may be on target. Per Dr. Hall's review, cannabis addiction does exist, and it's more prevalent in adolescents than adults. One in 10 adults who use marijuana on a regular basis become addicted to it compared to one in six adolescents.

4. Marijuana can negatively impact your IQ
It turns out that marijuana can actually lower your IQ as well, but according to the review, only if you're a heavy marijuana user. The study notes that "these effects on IQ were only found in the small proportion of cannabis users who initiated in adolescence and persisted in daily use throughout their 20s and into their 30s." This news mirrors a recent abstract we examined that showed marijuana users on average had a slightly lower IQ than non-users.

In addition to potentially lower IQs, the review also suggests that cannabis use is strongly associated with the use of other illicit drugs.

5. Marijuana's long-term effect on respiratory health is inconclusive
Lastly, Dr. Hall's study also brought up one glaring inconclusive finding: that being whether smoking marijuana had a negative effect on the users' respiratory function. Previous studies have gone both ways on this question, and this review notes that there's no conclusive evidence that smoking marijuana will lead to reduced respiratory function or respiratory cancer. The primary reason this turned out inconclusive is because most marijuana users were also smoking tobacco products, making it impossible to differentiate the effect on the body of one from the other.

Based on the study's findings, the outlook for medical marijuana and recreational marijuana is widely bifurcated.

With inconclusive data on the long-term respiratory effects of marijuana, and given the fact that a person's chances of overdosing from marijuana are extremely slim, it potentially strengthens the case for exploring marijuana's medical benefit profile. Let's remember that marijuana can be absorbed a number of ways beyond smoking, so the respiratory concern can possibly be eliminated.

All in all seems less unhealthy than smoking , drinking or even eating processed food. Just legalize it but don't allow advertising like we do for smoking.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Mike,I don't know where you found a cigarette ad in the last 40 years,but I could be wrong. I do agree that it less harmful than tobacco or liquor. I don't use it but I also feel that an advocation to the positive principles in our society should be addressed. #1,NOTHING will change as long as we have a wetnurse form of government.Our "Drug Laws" don't work.Years ago I was in Belize (then British Honduras). The policy was,use anything you want,we will bury you at sea.You will not be A burden on society. HMMMMM,+ this from a backwater country?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.scientificamerican....-still-target-youth/

I just think we need to decriminalize a lot of non violent consensual activity - marijuana drug use, prostitution ect

Lets not flood our criminal justice system with small stuff. All these activities go on - our last three presidents have been drug users at one time in their life.

Lets move on and focus on serious national social and economic issues.

I also think children killed by accidental firearms is a far bigger issue than marijuana use. Let alone the social costs of tobacco or 30K Americans killed each year by firearms.

But then I am not running for office and need to appease any voting group.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where did you get that 30K number? The FBI studies show fewer than that a year for the past several years, and it includes bangers shooting each other, and perps shot by LEO.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

A good place to start would be with the Hollywood movie industry that glorifies violence, druggies and various other immoral activities.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

A good place to start would be with the Hollywood movie industry that glorifies violence, druggies and various other immoral activities.

Another strict constructionist that wants to step all over someone else's Constitutional Rights (First Amendment, freedom of speech) because he doesn't like the usage of parts of it. Using the same logic the Second Amendment would be gone long ago.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Where did you get that 30K number? The FBI studies show fewer than that a year for the past several years, and it includes bangers shooting each other, and perps shot by LEO.[/QUOT

I just listed aggregate stat is 30K includes suicides ect

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L...m-related_death_rate

2011: 32,163
2010: 31,672
2009: 31,347
2008: 31,593
2007: 31,224
2006: 30,896
2005: 30,694
2004: 29,569
2003: 30,136
2002: 30,242
2001: 29,573
2000: 28,663
1999: 28,874

Growth is mainly in suicides. Gun and crime in aggregate has been coming down. The number still is scary large.

Big country, lots of guns, a culture that is more accepting of violence - we sure stackem and whackem with our guns.

I own plenty of guns myself. The one thing that gets me is accidental death and injury to children.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09...?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Mike

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Well, I definitely OD'd on it in college one night, haven't touched it since.

My wife's sister, who was once a well educated & financially successful beautiful blonde, looked like Marilyn Monroe, spent the last 25 or so years of her life smoking it daily, finally jumped off a parking garage in Seattle after many attempts at intervention.

Isolated incidents, I know.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Isolated incidents, I know.

Not that isolated. I've had the opportunity to talk to hundreds of druggies and thus far haven't found one whose life was made better by drugs and know a number who died well before their time because of them.

quote:
Another strict constructionist that wants to step all over someone else's Constitutional Rights (First Amendment, freedom of speech) because he doesn't like the usage of parts of it. Using the same logic the Second Amendment would be gone long ago.

Not really and not more so than restricting advertising of cigarettes, the sale of firearms to minors, etc. In my opinion, the Hollywood liberals are more responsible for the senseless violence in this country than are gun owners and yet no one seem to comprehend that.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beyond me why we're doing our damnedest to get people to give up tobacco and yet we're bound and determined to legalize marijuana. Smoke in your lungs is a foreign substance, no matter what it is.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Grumulkin: haven't found one whose life was made better by drugs and know a number who died well before their time because of them

My experience too.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Obviously marijuana use has some negatives to it. the question is are the negatives associated with criminalization better or worse than the possible increase in consumption.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Grumulkin: haven't found one whose life was made better by drugs and know a number who died well before their time because of them

My experience too.

Anybody in here consume alcohol? If so, has your life been made better by it? If so, explain how. If not, then I suspect hypocrisy strikes again.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO QUESTION that, barring the current legal status, the personal health and societal costs of alcohol usage FAR EXCEED the costs of marijuana usage. Addiction is addiction, just because one uses one or the other does not make an addict. Just as a start, on the societal costs, over 10,000 driving deaths yearly directly related to alcohol THAT ALL DIED "before their time", if you define such as a natural cause of death.

IMO, the costs of the "war on drugs", a totally lost effort, far exceed the costs of legalization, control, education, etc. We, as a society, and mostly us, the taxpayers, spend billions of dollars a year incarcerating people for victimless crimes and many billions more trying to enforce the anti-drug laws. There has to be a better way.

I am, by no means, suggesting that drug legalization would be without costs, but I am stating that the current situation is worse.

Again, addicts will be addicts, regardless of the addictive choice, that is a fact unless they choose to change. Some do, most don't.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Libertarian in me says it shouldn't be illegal, and wonders if there was ever a real problem with the stuff prior to making it illegal.
On the other hand, I dimly remember the 1960s and making humor about "doper logic".

A transition period between illegal and legal isn't going to be pretty, with people on both sides of the question telling different lies.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14372 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
IMO, the costs of the "war on drugs", a totally lost effort,

Only because of the way it's being run......

Get the liberals out of the criminal justice system and the war on drugs could have been won easily!

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JTEX You want to make the war on drugs a war on our own citizens. No doubt if we locked up everybody but a few trustees we could decrease drug use. Is that the kind of world you want to live in?
Gato I couldn't have said it better myself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope I surely don't!

I wouldn't be putting kids in jail with a felony record for having a couple of dubes.

But the dealers? I would happily give them the death sentence or life at hard labor. The mules packing the stuff in? They'd get the same.

But the liberals won't allow for stiff sentences, the lawyers fight against 'em for lack of repeat business.

I really don't see where that would be any kind of war against our citizens........nothing like what's been happening for the last decade or two....

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:

Anybody in here consume alcohol? If so, has your life been made better by it? If so, explain how. If not, then I suspect hypocrisy strikes again.

You make a good point. I had my last beer in, I believe, 1970. I'm pretty sure it's out of my system by now.

quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:

But the dealers? I would happily give them the death sentence or life at hard labor. The mules packing the stuff in? They'd get the same.

I agree. Some countries do this you know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Death sentence for marihuana! You must be out of your mind. Here in western PA the stuff is being grown everywhere to no apparent harm. And these aren't professional dealers or criminals, just smokers that grow a little extra for their friends. Nationally probably close to 10% of the population has sold it at least once.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Death sentence for marihuana! You must be out of your mind.

Really? I don't think so.

Soo since 10% of the population has done it that makes it ok?

10% of the population has broken traffic laws so let's do away with those too!

The law is the law! While it is illegal to possess marijuana the laws must be enforced. We are a nation of laws or we are nothing.

Drugs ruin lives, I have seen it. Yes I would be all for a death sentence for dealers of any illegal drugs!

If we are gonna have a war on something let's have a war, not lip service.

But i would not be ruining these young kids lives with a felony nor would I be clogging up the court system or our prisons for minor possession of marijuana.

What do you suggest for cocaine, crack, meth or heroin?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

My experience too.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO QUESTION that, barring the current legal status, the personal health and societal costs of alcohol usage FAR EXCEED the costs of marijuana usage. Addiction is addiction, just because one uses one or the other does not make an addict. Just as a start, on the societal costs, over 10,000 driving deaths yearly directly related to alcohol THAT ALL DIED "before their time", if you define such as a natural cause of death.

IMO, the costs of the "war on drugs", a totally lost effort, far exceed the costs of legalization, control, education, etc. We, as a society, and mostly us, the taxpayers, spend billions of dollars a year incarcerating people for victimless crimes and many billions more trying to enforce the anti-drug laws. There has to be a better way.

I am, by no means, suggesting that drug legalization would be without costs, but I am stating that the current situation is worse.

Again, addicts will be addicts, regardless of the addictive choice, that is a fact unless they choose to change. Some do, most don't.

+1

People want a nanny state for all things they oppose - drugs ect.

But they want no government control over things they support - guns.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think there are enough drug users on the road today without legalizing a hallucinogenic.

I liked the doper the other day that lost his job, in Colorado I believe, because he was a pothead on the job. His excuse was something about him thinking marijuana was legal. He thought he was just exercising his legal rights.

There has to be some controls whether marijuana is legal or not. Nobody should have to work around others on dope, that might get you killed. I don't need to be hit by a doped-up driver on the highway, or operated on by a dope-smoking surgeon, etc.

Posts: 13773 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
I think there are enough drug users on the road today without legalizing a hallucinogenic.

I liked the doper the other day that lost his job, in Colorado I believe, because he was a pothead on the job. His excuse was something about him thinking marijuana was legal. He thought he was just exercising his legal rights.

There has to be some controls whether marijuana is legal or not. Nobody should have to work around others on dope, that might get you killed. I don't need to be hit by a doped-up driver on the highway, or operated on by a dope-smoking surgeon, etc.

This is a real post from today's Craigslist:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.../sec/4864891996.html

They want "experienced armed MMJ security officers". No MMJ patients need apply. On one hand it's job discrimination on health grounds.

On the other hand...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Posts: 14372 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
With alcohol it's easy to tell if a person is intoxicated and easy to test for it. There is no test that will permit a police officer to readily test for marijuana usage and even if there was, since marijuana metabolites stick around for quite awhile there isn't a way to tell if the presence of the metabolites indicates recent use.

It should be obvious that recent use of marijuana would cause impairment but some of it's effects are longer lasting and more subtle. In some if fosters a sloppy or half assed approach to performing various tasks.

I also believe the alleged medical benefits of marijuana are VERY exagerated and in the majority of users is just an excuse to justify getting loaded.

The Feds ought to visity the various dispensaries and arrest the gun toteing guards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why do you think the federal government has not advertised the fact that marijuana impairs driving? They've been trying to justify outlawing it for years and the testing they have done has not shown measurable impairment. You need to talk to cancer patients about medicinal use.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
With alcohol it's easy to tell if a person is intoxicated and easy to test for it. There is no test that will permit a police officer to readily test for marijuana usage and even if there was, since marijuana metabolites stick around for quite awhile there isn't a way to tell if the presence of the metabolites indicates recent use.

Lifepoint LLC was working on that before they went broke. I think someone bought the intellectual property and resumed working on it, but don't have any good information on their progress.

TomP

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikelravy:
Why do you think the federal government has not advertised the fact that marijuana impairs driving? They've been trying to justify outlawing it for years and the testing they have done has not shown measurable impairment. You need to talk to cancer patients about medicinal use.

If you believe marijuana use doesn't impair driving OK... I can't help you.

I actually don't have a problem with terminal cancer patients getting loaded. They get loaded all the time on other stuff anyway. It's not that effective though and I suspect the vast majority of so called medical marijuana users aren't terminal cancer patients but rather those who wish to get high. As for legalized recreational use; that obviously isn't done for cancer patients.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's not me that believes it it is the Department of Transportation. Sounds a little fishy to me but that is what they came up with.

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
the amount of mis information in this thread is staggering.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jb:
the amount of mis information in this thread is staggering.
What, is someone typing while they're smoking dope?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marijuana is a mind altering substance, period. It is probably 'healthier ' than tobacco but that is not why I believe it is illegal in many parts of the world. MIND ALTERING is the reason.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
O.K. now,just a thought,a suggestion,no convictions;just suppose that those who imbibe develop the symptoms of the "fiend"s addiction,thus enslaving a young girl to it;s foul ends.Before the night is gone she will release her virtue as well as her soul...all do to the demon weed!B.S. Right? I don't use it but I have a problem with hypocrasie

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote