New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quotes Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
With all the interest that was generated on the "Where did that phrase Originate" site, I thought this might give some interest concerning quotes by the famous + not. I'll go 1st.
"Hunger is the handmaiden of Genius" Mark Twain.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know what a hot water six but where did the saying originate?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a trial lawyer, you use quotes as an intro or a pivot in an argument, so I love them. Others, are just instructive for how you live your life.

One of my favorites,

When in doubt, attack!
George S. Patton

Another,

Never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence.

Napoleon.

Another,

There are three types of people, those that learn by reading about it, those that learn by listening to someone with more experience, and those that just have to pee on the electric fence.

Will Rogers.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another by George Patton, "Never give counsel to your fears".

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
pee on the electric fence

73 years ago, when we moved out to the county the local boys took advantage of the city boy. "Can you pee on that wire" you know the rest.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
quote:
pee on the electric fence

73 years ago, when we moved out to the county the local boys took advantage of the city boy. "Can you pee on that wire" you know the rest.

Dave

Precise aim is useful to write your name in the snow but not a universal blessing...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always have the feeling that some quotes attributed to someone famous were never said by that person. How do we know? It doesn't matter whether it is Jesus Christ, some deceased President, or Mark Twain. How can we be sure these days when lies appear in print as often as the truth.

As often as not, it appears to be someone attaching their beliefs to someone famous to gain additional credibility.

https://lawandcrime.com/awkwar...ng-the-ifea-is-true/

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I looked on "wikiquote" for quotes regarding peace and disarmament.
What I read was humbling and sobering.

Posts: 9022 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the 30s at a Hollywood party, Jean Harlow was talking to Noel Coward + kept pronouncing his name NoEL with emphasis on the latter. Finally, he couldn't take it anymore + said "Jean, the E in Noel is silent; just like the T in Harlow."

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken, I'm sure you are right to some extent. I doubt most that I see online but have more faith in older books. One case in point is a quote from a book on Mark Twain's words of wit; + to which I totally agree. " Communism is idiocy. They want to divide up the property. Suppose they did-it requires brains to keep the money as well as make it. In a precious little while the money would be back in the former owner's hands + the communists would be poor again." Now I know that the Soviets got their start in 1917 so that is past his death date, however, Karl Marx was spouting his diatribe in the 1850s so it's anyone guess.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another I have heard (+ used myself) as being attributed to Twain, but I know I have seen it attributed to Ben Franklin previously. " If a cat jumps onto a hot stove, it will never jump onto a hot stove again.....or a cold one." Words of wisdom, no matter who wrote them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After seeing C.B. DeMille's movie "The greatest story ever told", James Thurber commented, "It just goes to show what God could have done if he had the money."

One of Us
posted Hide Post

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
"Though she an acre hath of nose, to me she is a paragon."
Anonymous, or possibly Firesign Theater ...

hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
"Though she an acre hath of nose, to me she is a paragon."
Anonymous, or possibly Firesign Theater ...

hilbily

From Days of Yesteryear.....

Speaking of Firesign Theater,

https://www.last.fm/music/The+...ilds+Garden+of+Grass

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
" Where did all those Indians come from ?" I think it was Gen. George Custer.

Posts: 513 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 27 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"I have found that there ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them." Mark Twain (ain't THAT the truth)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be not afraid of any man,
no matter what his size'
just call on me in times of need'
and I shall equalize."
attributed to Samuel Colt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman,

That's why I won't share a camp with anyone.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After watching C.B. DeMille's "The Greatest Story Ever Told" with a cast of thousands, James Thurber made the comment, "Now we know what God could have done if he had the money."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No Pride,

Don't feel bad. I was never a city boy, but how do you think I found out about the cattle fence? It was a rite of passage.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was a rite of passage.

A lesson learned, If everybody but you is smiling, your it.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it be your will,
if there is a choice, let the rivers fill, let the hills rejoice, let your mercy spill, on all these burning hearts in hell, if it be your will, to make us well.
Leonard Cohen

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
My personal favorite.

It is better to remain silent and thought a fool
Than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3066 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Concerning salaries of politicians, "We should not make places of honor places of profit."
Benjamin Franklin.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"We should not make places of honor places of profit."

Not now.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
True that! But although I don't recall the actual wording, I believe he said, We have given you a Republic, let us see if you can keep it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can fool all the people some of the time, + you can fool some of the people all the time, but you can't fool all the people all the time.
Abraham Lincoln

One of Us
Picture of SpicyCrabDip
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
quote:
"We should not make places of honor places of profit."

Not now.

Dave

This hits a little close to home...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it does. Franklin knew what he was talking about + as we all know, there's nothing new under the sun, least of all politicians M.O.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another from Ben, "Make yourselves sheep + the wolves will eat you." Something to remember in these times also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Semi along that same line, several years ago I had the privilege of meeting a retired MSGT. who had been one of Patton's cooks in war 2. His little story I have used myself on several occasions when people want something in an unreasonable time frame. The start goes like this: At Patton's HQ. the word that Eisenhower was coming for breakfast was announced + all was frantic chaos. They needed a waiter + in the Army's usual wisdom picked some little smart ass PFC that had the talent of saying things that would have put me under the jail. Eisenhower shows + the kid takes his order of a 3-minute egg. The kid walks toward the kitchen + before he gets there turns around to ask Ike something about how he wanted his coffee, etc. When he arrives at the table Ike says, "Boy, that was quick; is my egg ready?" The kid never breaks stride = says, "Sir you may be a general, but a 3-minute egg still takes 3 minutes." You could have heard a pin drop + the Ike laughs + the tension was gone. As I said, if it was me I'd still be in durance vile.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I said, I've used that story/theory many times with persistent/obnoxious customers, "A 3-minute egg still takes 3 minutes!" Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"If you're the smartest one in the room, you're probably in the wrong room." ANON.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman,

I like that one about the smartest man in the room. It's absolutely true.

But in my experience, the person who thinks they are the smartest man in the room, isn't.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
True. I had a friend in college that had a T-shirt that had the quote, "Those of you who think you know it all are very irritating to those of us who do."