New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about Phoenix Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted
My sister-in-law is talking about moving to Pheonix and my wife said if she moves out there we'd look at moving. I know there is a lot of shooting and off roading out that way but what about realestate and jobs? I'm a former Navy Electronics Technician. My wife wants to know about Glendale. Why so inexpensive?

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Though I show Phoenix in my location I actually live in Glendale.

It depends on what you call "so inexpensive" and where in Glendale you buy. With the housing market the way it is, the pricess have gotten much more realistic in the past several months. Durning the boom, what used to sell for 150k was selling for more like 350k - 400k. They're mostly at about 200k now. Jobs are very much a relative thing but there are military contract companies here in the valley. The economy is dictating things here as much as anywhere. Because of the size of the valley it's best to know where you're going to be working (hopefully long term) before you buy a place to live. Commute times here can be short like in many places but can also be 1.5 to 2.5 hours each way. The valley is LARGE. I used to drive from my place to the GM proving grounds everyday at 91 miles round trip. Some of the folks that I work with now drive close to 80 miles one way.

Anyway, you can get lots of information at phoenix.gov or google some of the various cities in the area like Glendale, Scottsdale, Mesa, Tempe, Avondale and so on. You can also check out this local news, etc. site.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Damn, I spelled Phoenix wrong. That sounds like prices in Virginia Beach. My wifes company has an office in Scottsdale. I'd be looking for military electronics. We have a 1300 ft two bedroom house in Norfolk that's 196,000 and saw 2700 ft 4 bedroom for the same price.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Rockwell is one of the defense contractors here in the area. You would have to search for jobs similar to yours via the web that are available in the metro area. The Scottsdale area is one of the more expensive areas in the valley. You can probably live "not too far away" from there for much less.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does everyone who lives in Phoenix get the Dillon Precision cover models to come over to their house to setup their reloading press ?

Do y'all get free access and membership to that big Ben Avery shooting range on the north end of town ?

Do the McMillans give y'all one free stock a year ?

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
:-)

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer:
Does everyone who lives in Phoenix get the Dillon Precision cover models to come over to their house to setup their reloading press ?

Don't we wish Big Grin

quote:
Do y'all get free access and membership to that big Ben Avery shooting range on the north end of town ?

Free to get in, it cost's like 7 bucks for the day to shoot however Cool

quote:
Do the McMillans give y'all one free stock a year ?

Right Roll Eyes

Ben Avery is still an excellent shooting facility even if the price has gone up from 5 bucks. They have just recently opened the long range to it's final length of 1000 yds.

Thinking about it, I've never even seen the Dillon cover models at their facility Frowner.

And no, Timney doesn't give us free triggers either.

Ken....

one of us
posted Hide Post
The folks in Tennessee get Al Gore speeches and Jack Daniels.

The folks in New York get street-vendor hotdogs.

The folks in Washington get our money ...

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote