New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for texas lawyers Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
My wife has a friend + her son is like another son to her as well. Anyway on New Years Eve while waiting on a train in Ft. Worth at the depot, he was hit by the train + thrown under the train + they say that his backpack was what saved his life. However along with other major injuries, his back was broken + this 40 ear old young man is looking at the rest of his life in a wheelchair. Now, the Texas Railroad Commision has deemed that they will only cap out $100,000.00 per injury, + as we know the railroad commission writes the rules. 100K won't even cover his bills at Parkland hosp. let alone any therapy at Baylor/ Scott + White who seem to be the best in spinal cord injuries. It seems that people getting hit by the metro trains is a common occurrence up in Dallas/ Ft. Worth area. It just seems very wrong that he cannot be compensated for at least all of his medical expenses. Any feedback would be appreciated. And, no he was not drunk or standing on the tracks.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
his negligance or theirs? i'm not a lawyer but thats gonna matter.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
his negligance or theirs? i'm not a lawyer but thats gonna matter.

Agree. I'm not a lawyer but two of my sons are, and I doubt an attorney could give an accurate opinion without a lot more detail regarding the accident/incident.

I have a college classmate who's a retired district court judge in Texas, now in limited private practice, and I'm sure if he had all the details he could render a pretty solid opinion. I can give you his contact info (via PM) if you want.

Disclaimer: he doesn't work for free but might do a basic consult.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1540 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman,

I am a Texas lawyer, but I do defense work. From what you've said I suspect it was a DART train?

If so, what they are talking about is governmental immunity and the related limitations on liability, but I agree more facts are needed.

Tried to send you a PM, but can't figure out how to.

Send me a PM and I'll respond and give you the name a very good, reputable personal injury firm in the DFW area that can answer all of this young man's questions.

These are not folks I have any relationship with other than I've been on the other side of them, but have always found them extremely capable and honorable, which isn't as common as it used to be.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I know this is unrelated but how come there are some Texas lawyers who advocate and readily admit they employ illegals to mow his lawn, weed the garden, babysit the kids, cook the meals, etc?

How can one have a law license in Texas that blatantly breaks the law?

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
I know this is unrelated but how come there are some Texas lawyers who advocate and readily admit they employ illegals to mow his lawn, weed the garden, babysit the kids, cook the meals, etc?

How can one have a law license in Texas that blatantly breaks the law?

Hahahaha!

Ann,

Let me tell you something.

A lawyer, by chosen profession, is a crook.

He will use any means to make a buck.

The destruction of American society is due to lawyers.

Everything is ruled by them.

You lot have been brain washed to sue for every little thing.

In this case, one wins, and one loses.

But BOTH LAWYERS make money! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66759 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lavaca, P.M. sent. Thanks.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Responded. Good luck.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed:
Your ignorance is showing. The statement you made is akin to claiming that all of certain race, profession, nationality or religion have a particular undesirable trait.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lawdog,

Saeed and I go round and round about this and have for years. He hates lawyers and believes they are all dishonorable scumbags. I agree with him that some are, particularly most, but not all, personal injury plaintiff's lawyers.

I represent business and insurance companies against those plaintiff's personal injury lawyers, so we try to hold the line.

To me, there is a significant difference, but Saeed paints with a broad brush when it comes to lawyers.

But he's a good man. Everyone is narrowminded on some topic.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's what we are looking for during voir dire.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exactly. I practiced criminal defense law for 51 years. I represented a good number of people that had Saeed’s point of view. When the government came knocking and they hired me they sang a different tune. I’ll be the first to admit the profession has some very bad actors not fit to be a notary public much less a lawyer. But all walks of life have incompetents and crooks.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's true, one finds miscreants in all the trades + we sholdn't paint any profession with a wide brush but I must say that although I haven't been looking, I have yet to hear of that elusive "Whore with a heart of gold." Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman,

Did you get my information by PM?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I did + I passed it along. Thank you.