Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

International air travel! Login/Join 
one of us
posted
I just booked a roundtrip flight to London. $1271.
Of this, "taxes and fees" were $656! Now I always thought that air travel was expensive because of fuel, equipment and (hopefully) maintenance costs! Guess not!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Yep.

And we are most definitely NOT getting our money’s worth in services from airports.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66901 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Nor from the folks that those taxes are paid to.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
I just booked a roundtrip flight to London. $1271.
Of this, "taxes and fees" were $656! Now I always thought that air travel was expensive because of fuel, equipment and (hopefully) maintenance costs! Guess not!
Peter.

Economy tickets are break even for the airlines as they have to compete with all the other airlines in the advertising market so $600 is about right for their cost.

Airlines make all their profit on the forward compartment seats and cargo.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12524 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am in the middle of a serious customer relations issue with American Airlines and the trip insurance provider I used.

Three months ago my wife and I sat on a plane at DFW for over five (5) hours unable to get permission to take off for Miami on our way to Ecuador and the Galapagos. The reason given by American Airlines was severe weather in Miami.

When the pilot was finally given permission to take off for Miami, he announced they were unable to start the left engine and had called for a mechanic.

When we finally left DFW we were too late for our connecting flight from Miami to Guayaquil.

Everyone on board was asking if American Airlines was going to put us up in a hotel and provide meals. Their answer was; "No", the problem was caused by weather.

We found ourselves in Miami, after midnight, during Spring Break with no hotel room. We finally found one for $500 a night, 40 miles away. We stayed in the room three hours.

I filed a claim with the trip insurance after we got home. They are stalling trying to find a way out of paying. They asked me to find out from American Airlines the official reason for the flight delay. I contacted American and their written response was that the 5+ hour delay was caused by mechanical failure. American Airlines had basically stiffed everyone on that flight. They owed us all hotel, taxis, and meals.

I'm waiting to hear what the insurance says. If they say "no", I'm turning back on American Airlines. I have their email saying it WAS their problem and not the weather as they had claimed.

Customer Service? I don't think so.

Posts: 13771 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2741 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote