Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windows 10 Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
For those of you who have had to suffer Windows 8.1, Windows 10 is a vast improvement. One issue that has been identified with Windows 10 is the Share WIFI Password which basically will automatically share your WIFI passwords with ALL your contacts - No Bueno.

The fix is very simple, just go to settings and network and Manage WIFI and uncheck all the boxes.

Otherwise, Windows 10 is a wonderful thing so far. Certainly is a better OS than Win 8.1 and offers a lot of productivity improvements over Win 7. Apps are now a whole lot easier to utilize and much more functional. Good-by Windows 8!

tu2

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Opus1, what is the upgrade procedure? Did you do a full backup before hand. Create a restore point?
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
A better option is to go Mac!

Cool

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Todd but I cannot agree. My wife has a MacBook Pro. Battery went out, replaced it. Keyboard went out cannot replace it. They no longer make parts. $1K for a new one. While I am not a fan, by any means, of Windows O/S the Apple hardware leaves a lot to be desired. I refuse to pay a premium price for a laptop computer or a damn cell phone!!! Meanwhile my HP laptop and Motorola cell phone take a lickin and keep on tickin.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter - The upgrade is free of course and all you need to do is "reserve" a copy from MS.

Make sure you are up to date on Win Update and then you will receive the download. The timing of the download depends on when you reserved as the upgrade as it is coming out in waves. Most of my computers have already received the upgrade and I am waiting on one laptop. Depending upon the processor speed, it only take 15 - 20 minutes to load so it has been the easiest upgrade I have experienced.

Most all software in Win 7 and 8.1 is compatible. So it is very easy to begin working in Win 10.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Opus1. I might just wait a few more days. I don't want to be on the bleeding edge!
Peter

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Sorry Todd but I cannot agree. My wife has a MacBook Pro. Battery went out, replaced it. Keyboard went out cannot replace it. They no longer make parts. $1K for a new one. While I am not a fan, by any means, of Windows O/S the Apple hardware leaves a lot to be desired. I refuse to pay a premium price for a laptop computer or a damn cell phone!!! Meanwhile my HP laptop and Motorola cell phone take a lickin and keep on tickin.
Peter.

I'll bet you're one of those guys that drive Fords and say the've never had mechanical issues as well!

sofa

jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MIcrosoft also stated they would provide service for Windows 10 for ten years, which to me is a big plus as it took me about 8 years to become comfortable with my current Windows XP.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apple computers are for those who need to be able to check their Facebook account but have not yet figured out how to operate a computer.

coffee

Step One - Plug box looking thing into a wall socket

Step Two - Turn box looking thing to the on position.

Step Three - Once you see little icons on the screen of the box looking thing, use the little hand thingy and move the little pointy thingy to the icon that says Facebook and then click on it.

Welcome to the world of Apple computers. Should you have any problems with it, please take the box thingy to the local apple store and find the kid with the zits to help you.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Apple computers are for those who need to be able to check their Facebook account but have not yet figured out how to operate a computer.

coffee

Step One - Plug box looking thing into a wall socket

Step Two - Turn box looking thing to the on position.

Step Three - Once you see little icons on the screen of the box looking thing, use the little hand thingy and move the little pointy thingy to the icon that says Facebook and then click on it.

Welcome to the world of Apple computers. Should you have any problems with it, please take the box thingy to the local apple store and find the kid with the zits to help you.

Funny considering I have a Bachelors Degree in Computer Science. But hey, I hear you. I fought the PC to Apple switch for years. Once I switched, there is NO going back!

FORD - Found On Road Dead, or Fix Or Repair Daily, but never First On Race Day!

clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No going to the dark side for me. I like being able to solve my own problems and I really like being in control over my computer and not my computer telling me how to act.

coffee

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
No going to the dark side for me. I like being able to solve my own problems and I really like being in control over my computer and not my computer telling me how to act.

coffee

Sounds like you want a Mac. Those are the EXACT reasons I switched. PC always has things running the in the back ground, a significant portion of memory taken up constantly by anti virus software, constant "automatic" changes to your data. Never in control of the machine.

None of those issues with a Mac! And the hardware will outlive any PC based system 3 to 1 at least! But again, hey, I hear you. Like I said, I fought going to the "dark side" as well ... for years! Now when I find myself needing to use a PC, everything is just .... cumbersome. Never going back.

Had my fill of FORDs as well.

clap

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Is this what you mean about "being in control over your computer and not your computer telling you how to act"?

http://www.komando.com/happeni...ates-to-other-people

rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its called a distributed network and they are amazingly efficient. But this is also something that can easily be turned off along with all your startups and background programs if you know how. The problem is, many PC operators don;t know about all the tools available to them to control what your computer is doing beyond connecting you to your Facebook account.

Again, PCs are easy to tell what to do. Apple just assumes and you are along for the ride no matter what you want. Conform and be assimilated, resistance is futile.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Its called a distributed network and they are amazingly efficient. But this is also something that can easily be turned off along with all your startups and background programs if you know how. The problem is, many PC operators don;t know about all the tools available to them to control what your computer is doing beyond connecting you to your Facebook account.

Again, PCs are easy to tell what to do. Apple just assumes and you are along for the ride no matter what you want. Conform and be assimilated, resistance is futile.

Are you absolutely sure you don't have PC and Mac confused? The reasons you give for sticking with PC are the EXACT reasons I switched to Mac. Nothing happens with Mac unless you either tell it to or allow it to. No auto updates, backups, etc. Nothing running in the background wasting valuable memory.

I hate to say it again, but claims of PC's allowing full control of the machine reminds me of the guys that tell you they've never had trouble with Fords. I've owned 5 Fords, they were all lemons! Major lemons. I don't know how many PC laptops I've gone through over the years starting from around 1995 or so. Never had one that lasted 2 years without needing to be replaced. I'm still on my first MacBook now after 5 years and it performs just like it did when I first got it.

Funny but I used to be in the same camp with you Opus. I hated Mac ... or at least I thought I did. When I first made the change, I found the learning curve a bit steep as things are done differently. But it only took a month or so to realize how much better thought out the system really is. Much more intuitive. Yes, I know how to delve deep into the Window's operating system but why bother when there is a much more streamlined approach that offers 1/10th of the frustration that comes with constantly having to run down what random automatic updates and BUG FIXES that Windows downloads with each start up. Random error messages with cryptic identifiers that NO ONE knows the meaning of.

One of my biggest gripes about the Windows system is that when you do get those error messages, attempting to contact the software vendor always ends up with them pointing the finger at Microsoft. Calling Microsoft for tech support ends up with them pointing the finger at the PC manufacturer. Calling the PC manufacturers tech support ends up with them pointing the finger back at the software vendor. And round and round it goes without ever getting solved. With Mac, if you have an issue, calling Mac Tech Support will get the problem solved about 90% of the time. That other 10%, you can have those zit faced kids at the Mac Store fix on the spot.

I'll leave it at that. You can have the last word. I've been in both camps and much prefer the Mac side. Most, not all, but most folks that have tried both stick with Mac as well ... usually after fighting the switch to the "Dark Side" for some extended period of time.

But I'll leave the conversation with a restatement of your opening line on this thread: "For those of you who have had to suffer Windows 8.1 ... " . Then your next statement is how to fix the first bug already identified with the next version, Windows 10! No such suffering with Mac!!

Have a good one.

patriot

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was field software tech support for Burroughs Corp. medium and large systems. I had a listing of the O/S in the trunk of my car. I KNEW what the hell was going on with the computer. With the P/C I have NO idea, and neither does anyone else. The solution is always "try this, if that doesn't work then try this etc. etc.". Perhaps someone can help me with some elementary question:
1. How can I find out who is 'phoning home" on port 80 or any other port for that matter. How can I shut down the ports?
2. How can I find out which programs are using memory, CPU and I/O?
I have more...
Peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Task manager addresses most of your questions and you can easily turn communication ports on and off. You can also see what programs have access to the interweb and can easily restrict them if needed.

There are many great free malware and security software available for the PC. Malwarebytes is one of the best and you can get McFee for free on most new computers.

Another great program for PC is CCleaner. It gets rid of junk files but also easily allows the user to turn off start up programs. You can download all these for free at CNET.com.

With most new PCs coming equipped with 12 to 16 Gig of RAM, there is never an issue with too little memory and too many open programs. And with PCs costing half of what Apple produces, you can get a Lap Top or Pad to go with it and still have bucks for software. And of course with a PC you can view Flash content on website so you actually have a rewarding Interweb experience.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Opus. I am familiar with CNET as I subscribe to their newsletter or whatever they call it. I guess I am not as familiar with Task Manager and it's capabilities as I thought. I will check it out. I have McAfee and have used Malwarebytes in the past for virus protection. I found out about CCleaner through CNET but have not downloaded it yet. The Registry is a whole 'nother ball game!
Thanks again, Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beats the worlds worst software windows 8.

I was using a beta version of windows 10 for last 6-8 months. Too upgrade to 10 i have to downgrade to 8. I hate windows 8 so much I took my laptop to the microsoft store and asked them to do the upgrade from demo to windows 10.

They are jammed with upgrades will take 2 days.

I have moved everything to apple. Even when I have to use windows I will run it on a mac.

I am tired of crappy microsoft software and terrible dell pcs. I bought a levono yoga 2 lapto- - terrible when compared to a 5 year old mac book air.

Its just not worth it for me to deal with microsoft crap - I need windows to run bloomberg software - other than that I have little use for microsoft. Have to admit excel is a good product.

Google mail and google drive are awesome.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote