Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terrifying Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Maybe I need to skip learning to dive idea.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...-diver-head-off.html

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good friend of mine had a brother that went to the Bahamas specifically to dive with the sharks 2 years ago. That was the last time they ever saw him. Sharks aren't picky when it comes to food!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Diving is an incredibly enjoyable activity, but one has to pick the spots and know one's limitations.

Many years ago, I was on a solo diving trip in the Caymans. I had done enough diving so I went on a snorkel/fishing sail boat trip with other tourists I didn't know. We parked (anchored) off a reef in about 30-50 feet of water. At the time, I was not used to seeing sharks up close and personal. Most of day trippers, grabbed a spear, and went snorkeling for dinner. Me, too. I was stalking a big grouper under a coral head and the SOB kept moving around behind trunk, just like a squirrel, could not get a shot. So, taking a break on surface, out of corner of my eye I see a BIG damn shark swim by, at least 10 feet long....water was clear, so I watched him for about 200 feet when he started circling back. I'm thinking, hummmm, shooting dinner, blood in water, why am I here? So, I took a giant breath, dove down to bottom and headed for anchored boat about 50 yds away. Shark still headed in my general direction. I surfaced like a missle, and came down on deck of boat, yelling "SHARK" in a high pitched voice. Crew kind of shrugged it off and I stayed on boat for the duration. No one was shark dinner that evening, and they brought in some nice fish for dinner. I am not fond of sharks to this day.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Diving is an incredibly enjoyable activity, but one has to pick the spots and know one's limitations.

Many years ago, I was on a solo diving trip in the Caymans. I had done enough diving so I went on a snorkel/fishing sail boat trip with other tourists I didn't know. We parked (anchored) off a reef in about 30-50 feet of water. At the time, I was not used to seeing sharks up close and personal. Most of day trippers, grabbed a spear, and went snorkeling for dinner. Me, too. I was stalking a big grouper under a coral head and the SOB kept moving around behind trunk, just like a squirrel, could not get a shot. So, taking a break on surface, out of corner of my eye I see a BIG damn shark swim by, at least 10 feet long....water was clear, so I watched him for about 200 feet when he started circling back. I'm thinking, hummmm, shooting dinner, blood in water, why am I here? So, I took a giant breath, dove down to bottom and headed for anchored boat about 50 yds away. Shark still headed in my general direction. I surfaced like a missle, and came down on deck of boat, yelling "SHARK" in a high pitched voice. Crew kind of shrugged it off and I stayed on boat for the duration. No one was shark dinner that evening, and they brought in some nice fish for dinner. I am not fond of sharks to this day.

Smart to stay on the bottom.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to dive a fair amount. Scariest time was a wall dive off Bimini. Bottom went from about 100 feet to 3000 feet! One of the divers got narked and headed down the wall. One of the dive masters had to chase after him and bring him back up. Risky to himself as well. Interestingly enough, there were some huge shapes just of the wall in the deep water. Scary as hell, but I think they were Manta Rays! Then there was the night dive!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great whites dine on seals. Dress like a seal and you're likely to get a taste test. Wink

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dove a lot of places in the world, and saw plenty of sharks. I never could bring myself to dive off Western Australia. Snorkeled a little, but SCUBA, no thanks. Two years in Perth (2010-2012), six people taken by great whites, including one man swimming at Cottesloe Beach, "our" beach.

http://www.news.com.au/nationa...3d203cd12efda2ba74af

It didn't seem to deter the Australians from getting in the water. I always thought the Rottnest Channel Swim from Cottesloe Beach to Rottnest Island would be a movable feast for sharks, but I never heard of anyone being taken during the swim.

http://rottnestchannelswim.com.au/

I remember reading about one man being taken down near Margaret River. I believe he was abalone diving. As I recall, he had survived a white pointer attack some years earlier. This time the boat captain watched as the diver was attacked by a great white, a second great white joined the attack, and the boat captain watched as the two sharks ripped the diver in half and disappeared.

Posts: 13773 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was diving in the Caymans, there was a "Wall" dive, where depth dropped almost vertically from about a 100 feet to 6000 or so. They won't do this today for obvious reasons, but back then, you could do a "pop" dive from surface to as deep as your air could take you. Pretty scary at about 200 feet and with every breath you air gauge drops. I did the dive, started at surface, swam down to 200 plus feet, looked around for a few seconds and started ascent. No negatives to report, but not a practice one should follow. Wall was really pretty with giant coral and sponges growing off of it. I still remember the deep blue of the light receding into dark.

I can tell you from personal experience that nitrogen narcosis is a helluva fine hangover cure.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While on a business trip to the Caymans I went to Stingray City. That was cool!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I loved snorkeling when I was a kid went and got dive certified in my 30s.

Did enough dives to basically pay for my gear what rental fees would have been.

Found that there is a very limited market for use dive gear and it sells really cheap.

Still have mine can't find a buyer even cheap.

Up here is it is all 6mm wet suit cloves hood and one still can be cold.

Local dive shop went under when owner died.

Haven't drove for years it seems cold fresh water lakes start to look the same after many dives. Then they are cold all the time.

A two tank dive takes all day from start to finish. From the time to get boat gear ready to doing the dive and then getting every thing cleaned up and put away.

I was asked to be on the local sheriff office dive team but the idea of diving in cold dark lakes/rivers looking for dead bodies. Where one can't see 2 feet didn't trill me.

I took up diving for fun.

I should have just rented my gear then I wouldn't be sitting on it taking up space.

Posts: 19364 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Wife and I are going to Barbados next May. The resort offers free scuba diving( 2 tanks in AM). I have dived all over the world for 40 years, although not in the last 6-7. My health is still good so I intend to give it a go. Sharks are just part of the deal.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Diving out of a perfectly good boat or out of a perfectly good plane never has made any sense to me.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where I fish off Cape Cod about 50 days a year is great white central because of all the seals....never give it a second thought when I'm out there. Then again, I stay in the boat. rotflmo

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote