New
Find
Notify
Tools

Melon boy ... Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Last summer I stopped at a roadside stand with a crudely lettered sign that read "Sweet Texas watermelons" and bought a Texas yellow, upon friends' recommendations. It was great, and I tossed some leavings in the raised bed and thought no more about it. This past June, I noticed a single melon-like sprout in the bed and decided to let it grow to see what it might be. Well it was sure enough a watermelon and the vine gave this one big fruit. Picked, washed and chilled it a couple of days ago, and cracked it open last night. Turned out to be 20 pounds of wonderfully ripe Texas yellow. Man, what a great flavor. I may never grow a watermelon again and just let this be my one crowning success as a melon farmer!

fullsizeoutput_1621 by ComeWatson, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_1622 by ComeWatson, on Flickr

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16271 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Awesome! I have not had much luck with melons to date. May try them again next year once I finish with my garden upgrade to all wicking tubs.

I have heard that melon rind makes for good pickles too.

~Ann

Posts: 19121 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
What a cool outcome! I bet that you threw the remains back in the same place hoping for more next year, right?!

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I am saving seed from this baby. Prolly have enough to share some if anyone wants to try them.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16271 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
They are so good. I remember hunting near a patch and cracking some over on the tailgate as a kid.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3426 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have not had any luck with melons where I live as they need a more sandy soil + mine is more alkaline. It does grow good tomatoes though.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote