New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ah, the good old days Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
I sure miss them at times. Mom was cleaning out some closets and gifted me some good stuff. Yes, full bricks. I don't know the year these were purchased but I got several and glad for them.

Prices continue to be scary on just about everything anymore.

~Ann

Posts: 19154 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If people would quit panicking and hoarding the prices would stabilize and availability would improve. But since our speed limit IQ regime has injected 5 trillion into the money supply don't expect prices to fall any time soon. It would take many months of sustained low demand for that to happen.

Production date codes for Winchester ammo:

http://gigconceptsinc.com/files/Olin2.pdf

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I remember over here when I could get a brick of superspeed for what it cost now for two packs.
What was the wildcat? jut a marketing name for standard ammo? or something different

Posts: 4235 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bob, you're right. It would be grand if we could get folks to calm down at the same rate they panic. As I have said before; this will happen again so DON'T PANIC; + try to buy up everything. Buy like normal; everytime you go into Wal-Maet, et al ,just buy a box; every time. That way you can start a stash + at the same time not screw your fellow shooters.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, I believe the ammo issue isn't so much hording but people buying up what they can to re-sell it at a higher price. In other words, greed.

That said, I do think average pricing before all this was creeping up anyway. I remember how 'cheap' .30-06 used to be.

~Ann

Posts: 19154 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Ann: I too, have a number of bricks of Winchester WildCat in my ammo room. Got them from years of purchasing, as well as few from my deceased father in law. Big Grin I recall buying them for $9.99 a brick. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are people raiding stores of reloading components, to the point of clearing shelves, that don't reload and some don't shoot at all. They buy them in order to post them on-line for sale at ridiculously high prices. I refuse to buy anything from these pirates, and recommend others to do the same. I hope they end up eating the stuff.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1187 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if i could only post pics! i am in the middle of a major clean up reorganize etc my shop. found 2 boxes of WINCHESTER SUPER X .22 LR. price tag stuck on says 48 cents. end of boxes says SUPER X SX22LR

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago when I was on my pistol team ,
We would do a group purchase ..a whole case , which was 10 bricks or 5000 rounds of Hanson target ammo was under $100.00 ..or $10 / brick . We would buy many cases , and practice often

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1293 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How well I know + can relate. Hindsights 20/20 + the old prices from memory cause us grief. I remember on base in the 60s you could go to the indoor range + they would give you 30 rounds of 22 a day; you could bring all you wanted of your own, but you got 30 rounds free every day. That kind of promotion makes for better shooters.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was given a couple of packs of 235 grain kynoch ammo, with the caveat being that I used them.

I think the ammo was from the 1940’s, and I shot a 1” group with it the other day. What I have left I hope to use next year.

I also have some weatherby ammo from the first year they produced the .240. It is the most accurate .240 weatherby ammo I have ever shot, and that includes hand loads that produced .5
05” groups. I’ll save the last 20 Rounds for Africa.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many years ago when my paternal grandfather passed away I got a near full case of .22 ammo. He was a firearms dealer for much of his life.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I bought 2 crates of 6000 rounds each of subsonic 22 LR for $90.00 a crate. I traded one to my dentist for some dental work but still have the other one around here somewhere.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the good old days, my income was about 5% of what it is today. I’ll pass on the good old days.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
In the mid 80's a buddy and I would go to town every Friday and buy a brick of wildcats EACH and shoot them that evening. He had a Ruger MKII and I had a Ruger Single Six. Thats a lot of loading a single six in an evening. I remember the fouling at the cyinder face getting so thick the cylinder would rub the powder residue. The Wildcats were $9.99 a brick.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
df06, Regarding pay scale to current product values; just a case in point. In 1973 I was making $160.00 a week + a new Ford P.U. was $4500.00. Things have NOT increased evenly.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Big Grin tu2 My new Ford pinto was $2600 and my soon to be bride's Toyota Corolla $2800 in 1973. Big Grin She paid for hers in cash with babysitting money that she had saved over the years, working at 25 cents an hour babysitting kids. That was a hell of a lot of babysitting! Big Grin