New
Find
Notify
Tools

BWCA
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Curious, what part of the lake? That would be awesome. I like all trips but after going to the South Arm of Knife Lake last fall, I'm just fine with a one portage trip. Gearing up for bigger pike but I will happily reel in whatever wants to bite.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got back from Disappointment Lake on Sunday after paddling in from Snowbank on Thursday. We had a great trip. There must have been an extreme wind storm this summer because many trees were blown down and our island campsite was a bit of a wreck.

Weather was overall good. We only got rained on while driving to Ely on Thursday.

Had a nice sunrise on Sunday morning before going home.

We rented a solo canoe (group of 7) and I was "volunteered" to paddle it back on Sunday. Crossing Snowbank with whitecaps in my face in the solo canoe is not something I want to repeat.

Amanita mushrooms were popping up all over and I snuck up within a few feet of a spruce grouse one day too.

My dad and I took a day trip on Friday while the weather was clear and calm to visit Cattyman Falls and the rocky channel on Jordan Lake. I didn't realize Jordan was five portages away but it ended up being worth the effort. Cattyman Falls is spectacular and the colored rocks on Jordan were striking as they reflected on the mirror-like water.

I didn't realize until yesterday that there are petroglyphs on these rocks.

Fishing was tough. I caught a few tiny smallmouth bass and one that was maybe 12", and a couple small northern pike. These two fed our group one night.

Redemption arrived when I took the solo canoe out for one last try before packing up my fishing gear and caught this largemouth bass after flicking my Mepps #5 over a downed tree. I thought it was just a huge smallie until it was in the boat, and the first largemouth I've even seen in the BWCA happened to be a really nice one.

Crossing my fingers I'll be back in the BWCA again next May!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post