THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

AR wishes our members a Happy Passover

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone use the springbar or flex-bow type tent?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here are three examples:

SPRINGBAR Highline 6 | 10x10 Foot Canvas Tent | Water-Tight Cotton Canvas 6-Person

https://www.amazon.com/SPRINGB...&sr=8-22-spons&psc=1

Kodiak Canvas Flex-Bow 6-Person Canvas Tent, Deluxe

https://www.amazon.com/Kodiak-...TM6KK75HTGG586HX1W72

TETON Sports Mesa Canvas Tent; All Season Tent

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079...pa_dk_detail_1?psc=1

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19665 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I’ve used the Kodiak and highly recommend it for most circumstances. All tents are compromises. The Kodiak does not compromise quality construction. Read the user reviews on Amazon and the outdoor websites. You’ll get a feel as to whether or not this is the right tent for you.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also have a Kodiak 6 person (10' x 10" I think) I used it one summer for a trip to Alaska and back. It made camping possible. I stayed in the campgrounds of state and provincial parks and one national park - Jasper.

The only problem I had was rather significant.

When I put the tent away wet and went to set it up again the next day it was super difficult to deploy the springbar. I figure the fabric is designed to shrink to close the pores and stop leaking. There were at least two occasions when I thought that I was going to have to look for an alternative to camping, and I hadn't made a plan B. But I did manage to get it set up, and I did put a permanent bend in the spring bars a little.

Eventually I solved the problem when I got a heater. Each morning when the tent was wet I ran the heater a while on high to at least partially dry the fabric, before taking it down and packing for the day's journey. At least I think that solved the problem but I'll need to test it some more to be sure.

None of the reviews I've seen mention this.

I'm wondering if it's unique to the Kodiak.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19665 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought the smaller 6x8 by 4 high Kodiak for Jeep camping. Its sturdy and simple to set up. Not a lightweight but will hold up in rainy windy weather. Love the design.

Posts: 282 | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got three Kodiaks now. I started by borrowing a buddy's 10x10 for some Scout outings. It worked so well that I bought the 10x14, which we use for family camping and Scouting. You can stuff a lot of Scouts in there... I followed that up with the smaller 6x8 for use as a truck tent or to accompany the larger tent on Scout outings when leaders/adults are separate. It works well for that, but I missed being able to stand up, so I went ahead and got the 9x8. This is the perfect tent for solo glamping. It's perfectly sized to fit my fat-guy cot with 3" sleeping pad and large cowboy bedroll, a small table for a little cookstove (bedside coffee anyone?), and a comfy camp chair. Now I have a tent for any occasion (except backpacking, but that's a whole different ball game).

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive set up some nice spike camps with such tents, not sure of the make...a butane stove to cook and morning heat while dressing, but do not leave those burners on during the night and even while cooing its a good idea to crack the flap door for fresh air...Use the portable packer sheet metal wood burner for heat and coffee warmer...backed up with a 8 mile hunt back to the main camp in day or two. Don't forget to resupply on next trip out.Spike camps add a lot of success to elk hunting these days.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post