New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning down sleeping bags
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have two Artic sleeping bags by Eddie Bauer purchased in the 1950s, these bags are over size and have 5 to 6 pounds of pure down that Eddie Bauer purchased from Eskimos who robbed from Norther geese nests..These were high dollar in the 50s, at almost $500 per bag as I recall, and who knows what they would bring on todays market..

I would like to have them cleaned, how would one have that done without damage to the down..Ive used a wool blanket liner over the years but its time to clean them. I suspect dry cleaning but not sure..Eddie Bauer used to clean them, but they went mod years ago and quality went out the door..I also have a couple of Eddie Bauer jackets..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got a reply from Eddie Bauer, luke warm water with a mild detergent...tumble dry at cool to warm temp with 2 Tennis balls gently. Do all this in a big commercial washer and dryer. Do not dry clean down.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup. Pretty much standard for down. I’ve used LL Bean down sleeping bags for almost 30 years. The trick is to use the large washer/dryer and don’t lift or hang by an end. That way the baffles won’t be stressed too much.

Posts: 7784 | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used a Woods Three Star down bag (several pounds of down, wool flannel liner and canvas outer shell)for decades on those trips where the load was carried by truck or horse. For backpack hunts I carried an REI expedition bag (Goose down and nylon). I followed the REI directions for cleaning. At the time, they sold a soap called "Fluffy" and it was strictly for down. It is a very mild soap and won't strip the oil from the down so that when the down dries the fluff will return. It says to handwash, but I put the 3-Star in the front loader Maytag and set it on delicate cold and it is gentle enough that it gets the bag clean without damaging the construction. The main problem with cleaning down bags, other than solvents and strong detergents stripping the oils is the weight of waterlogged down being tossed about in a washing machine. The result is the stitching on the tubes that separate the sections of down come apart and the down goes all over inside the bag. then when the bag is finally dry, the down will be in bunches that will be nearly impossible to get relocated back to the appropriate tubes.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post