New
Find
Notify
Tools

taxidermy kit
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
has anyone tryed the taxidermy kits that are on the market today,are they worth trying or are the not worth the money thanks

Posts: 262 | Location: pa | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
snowmaker,

IMO, they are like a 'paint by number' painting that you buy from a department store.

They can sell you the basic materials but they can't sell you the expertise it takes to do a mount.

If a paint by number painting is good enough for your wall, then a 'taxidermy kit' mount is good enough for your wall.
I am not being rude, it just my opinion.

If you are intrested in taxidemy, that is a whole different story. There is alot more info out there nowdays to help a guy get started.

YKNR

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I agree with Yukoner. You can make them look OK, but they typically fall well short of the quality you would get from an established taxidermist, and they don't last.

If you wanted to dabble in taxidermy just for kicks though, it would probably be a simple way to do that.

[Smile] Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Snowmaker
Have you any info on these kits? I'd like to do a bit of dabbling!

Bakes

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Bakes,

Here is a link for you: taxidermy.com

Just click on "Beginner Kits". You will find several kits here. I have to agree with the above posts, taxidermy is about 90% art and 10% physical skills. Unfortunately, God didn't bless me with the left-brain talents needed.

Good Luck,

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bob

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
A link you might be very interested in is www.taxidermy.net.

From there go to the forums section and there is a TREMENDOUS amount of information there.

Good luck.

JDS

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote