THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Converting shoulder mount buff to skull mount?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Converting shoulder mount buff to skull mount?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted
Taxidermists,

I have a Cape Buffalo shoulder mount that sticks out of the wall so far it damn near takes over the room. 1) I'm interested in having a replica skull with the horns on it (European style mount).
2) I'd like the horns to better reflect the bull I shot. Mine had a soft boss and 39.5" spread. The shoulder mount is 35" wide with an artificial hard boss with aged ridges.
What say you? Can it be done and, if so, what would be the cost?I'm assuming I'd saw off all but the horns/boss and mail them to the right taxidermist.

Buff I shot:

Buff on the wall:

For the armchair quarterbacks, I shot the soft-bossed bull not the PH...so...my call. The PH admitted he should've taken measurements to share with the taxidermist, but I was there when he dropped it off and should've done the same.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No artificial skull available for cape or any buffalo.

Paul B

Posts: 58 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I bet you could get a skull from a buffalo that someone is having shoulder mounted (or buy a euro mount off ebay). A little apoxy sculpt and some paint and you'll be set. I think using minimal amount of your skull (i.e. just the horns) and more of the skull from another buff would make the transition more seamless.

I know what you mean about space takers. Mine sticks out 45 inches ... only mount I've gotten and thought "should have euro mounted this one."

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
I have some buffalo skulls with the horns cut out of them , I could send one to your taxidermist or we could do it here. you don't need to saw anything just open the skin up on top of the mounts head and remove the bolts holding the skull cap into the top of the form.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Jerry - I'll shoot you a PM. Would love to have you do the work.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote