Find
Notify
Tools

Selling Taxidermy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey Guys,

My hunting partner is selling his home and moving south and has some taxidermy he was looking to sell. Any suggestions on where to sell it?

He has a Muley buck, 3 whitetail bucks, whitetail doe, pronghorn and a full mount fox and pheasant

Any suggestions or interest, please let me know, thanks

Simply, Elegant but always approachable

Posts: 354 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Ebay isn't a horrible way to do it. But prices are pretty low.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There might be somebody here interested, but until we see pictures....

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are sporting auctions that take taxidermy . One is in Maine. You would have to bring the items up there. Ebay would require crating and shipping. You should post photos though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

Will get some photos up in the coming days

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just realize the market for used taxidermy is pretty soft and you will never get back what was put into it. That is the ugly truth of it in the end. I guess as long as you are willing to accept the loss it will be fine. I hate to be a downer but it is the reality of the situation. Go on taxidermy.net and see what things are going for there. Just remember you will never get retail for your stuff unless you get really lucky. I have friends with huge collections that want to sell them and all have come up against the same problem.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
The only value is to the original owner. As others have stated. Stores will gladly take them but they only want good work and you won't get anything out of it. Sad. Frowner

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I've been to several taxidermy auctions, mainly to pick up framed wildlife prints, that are often at these auctions. It's almost criminal to see what the mounts bring. You'll get pennies on the dollar.

I just attended one such auction last week. Whitetail and Muledeer mounts were selling for $50-$150 with the top prices being paid for larger racks and mounts in good condition. I'm talking nice 10 point Whitetails.

The real shocker was a real nice Elk mount. It was in great condition and was a 350 class 6x6. It sold for $225. On the flip side there was a full body (standing) mount of a small black bear that stood about 5 feet tall that went for $900. A small Cougar full body mount with terrible taxidermy sold for $700. Fish were no better. A large Stripped Bass in the 40-50 lb. range in excellent condition brought $110.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2294 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Remember, you can't sell any of your animals taken in Alaska.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cabela's perhaps...?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
I used Craigslist 2 sell a marlin and sailfish and they were gone in a few days.

May have just been lucky but worth a try

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lolli Brothers in Missouri sells mounts.

www.lollibros.com

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks For all the suggestions, I am going to post some photos up tonight, as I have just received them.

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
Remember, you can't sell any of your animals taken in Alaska.

How do they know, are they branded somewhere?

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[IMG]http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p616/Mc596097/IMG_0572-1_zps213121f3.jpg[/IMG

One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Another option may be to doante to a locas SCI chapter that runs a sensory safari. A sensory senory is an event that gives the visionally impaired (blind) an opportunity to touch and feel the differences in animals. May be tax deductible as well

Jim

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Ebay. Consignment shops. Craigslist. Taxidermy.net

They aren't book deer, so that value is out the window. They are just mounts to the average consumer.

They will go in a cabin in Montana or in someones apartment in New York who is probably a vegan. Smiler

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote