New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sealing off horns?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What if anything do you guys use to seal off horns giving them a slight sheen? My Gemsbok and Kudu mounts have the horns left natural, and they seem to be getting dull and rougher like they are drying out further over time. My concern is that they may eventually become brittle and become damaged due to this. ANy suggestions?

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boiled Linseed Oil is the only thing I personally have used on Tahr and Chamois horns and Red Stag antlers that looked a bit dry and dull. It worked a treat and kept them good for a few years. My taxidermist repaired ear damage on a Whitetail Deer for me a while ago and then gave the whole mount a tidy up when he was finished. I was horrified to see him apply WD 40 ( the lubricant ) to the antlers but he assured me this is commonly used. I was fearful the antlers might melt but they still look normal after several months.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2018 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Johnson Paste Wax. For horns, not antlers.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll see how the wax does. I would have thought a varnish or urethane might be used.

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can use the mix that is used to seal and strengthen skulls, if you don't like the look just soak in water and it will be removed

The mix is elmers white glue and water 1 part elmer to 3 parts water, several coats after previous coat dried

The elmer glue drys clear with a slight gleam and it really fills in and strengthens it will not change the color but adds life to it. I had an old antelope skull that I found in Wyoming and it was bleached and brittle, the skull not is strong enough to be handled
When I received my Brown Bear skull back from a tannery for decreasing I was amazed how brittle the skull was and on the verge of coming apart. I checked with several taxidermy sites to see how to seal and most of them recommend the above mix....it works

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2296 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a mixture of one third linseed oil two thirds mineral turp's. I have been painting/rubbing it on my trophy horns/antlers for twenty years. it keeps them looking fresh and helps prevents them going brittle

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same thing for me: though I use 50/50 as the mix

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried some wood conditioner that I had in hand in a small area. It's called Howard Feed-N-Wax. It's bee's wax and orange oil mix. So far it seems to be working well. I may do the linseed/turp mix though. Just thinking the wax may trap more dust over time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott's Liquid Gold....
Thats what my taxidermist recommended and I have used for about 10 years.
I don find it " temporary" but it works great and you just apply every so often when you see them dull

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ended up mixing equal parts turpentine and linseed oil then adding Japan dryer about 1%. Set up good and hard in about 48 hours and made a world of difference. I just scuffed it back with some 0000 steel wool on the gemsbok as they came out a bit too glossy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I spray funiture polish on a feather duster before the monthly wipe down. Works great.

Ski+3

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
I have had great results for horns and antlers with Horn and Antler Conditioner from Research Taxidermy. http://rmi-online.com/s-209.html
I have also used the 50 50 mix of linseed oil and turpentine. Heck, I have even used WD-40!!

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Wax base shoe polish in the metal round can brown or black

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote