New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wolves introduced into Colorado
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
High likelihood they are already there. Use sportsmans groups to confront G&F or whatever it is called in Co. Demand any collection data, sightings, evidence be made public prior to any reintroduction effort. Surely any well heeled groups could lead the legal effort; REMF maybe.

Posts: 1131 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
On the news tonight, a group is trying to get signatures to introduce a pack of wolves (20) into Colorado, just like the 1980 introduction of wolves into Yellowstone.

I guess hunters know what that would mean to an already difficult situation of getting elk tags. My wife and I used to get elk tags every year. Then, about 10 years ago, we would only get them every other year. Now, we get a tag every three years if we're lucky. More people living (moving) in the state.

I have been applying for a bull moose tag for about (20) years now. This year, I finally drew that tag. It is basically a once in a lifetime tag. I can only imagine that wolves will love moose meat as much as we do. It is the best there is. We don't have enough moose in this state yet, like Alaska has, or some states back east. It is a very long wait for a moose tag, IF one can get one.

There is a huge difference in Yellowstone vs. a state. Hunting is not allowed in Yellowstone, as it is a national park. Also, Colorado has many ranches, recreational hikers, campers, climbers, etc. Wolves won't mix very well with the general public. Colorado is not a national park. It is a state.

I hope the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation will start a 'Stop the Wolf' campaign here. The Colorado Parks and Wildlife agency that watches the herds of all animals in the state, was asked to allow wolves by certain interest groups and the agency has already said 'No' to this idea. A group is now asking for signatures for a petition to over rule Parks & Wildlife's decision. They said they want 'the will of the people' to over rule Parks & Wildlife. What makes these people think they know more about the conservation of the game species than the agency?

If they get their way, my wife and I will probably get an elk tag once every six or ten years. We are residents. Out-of-staters will fare even worse. Does everyone remember when they wanted wolves in Yellowstone and said the numbers would have a cap. Yeah right! Look up the original numbers and what it turned into.

I hope they cannot get the signatures they need, and if they do, I hope the residents of Colorado vote it down in agreement with Colorado Parks & Wildlife, who know what wolves will do to our wildlife.

If the wolves are let loose, there is no need for out of states to hunt there any more. The elk will be greatly diminished. Last time I elk hunted Colorado (1980's), I bought a tag over the counter and we saw hundreds of elk where we hunted.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
that solution ain't the answer.
we can buy a wolf tag for 12$ over the counter it's good for 364 days.[then you buy a new one]
there is no need to sss, we pretty much have a green light to shoot them on sight.
the wolves are still here.

So you need to open a trapping season too? There is a good reason they were shot out the first time.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
that solution ain't the answer.
we can buy a wolf tag for 12$ over the counter it's good for 364 days.[then you buy a new one]
there is no need to sss, we pretty much have a green light to shoot them on sight.
the wolves are still here.

So you need to open a trapping season too? There is a good reason they were shot out the first time.

With proper incentives wolves can be eliminated a general hunting lic. is not the way.

Shooting, trapping, poisoning , use of aircraft, bounties.

Put 1000.00 dollars bounty of them you would have a lot more dead wolves .

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
Sure but I was out in the wilderness a lot and it added excitement. I was rarely without my 270. When it was home or in camp, I had my 45. No regrets. A few grizzlies in Estes Park some in the Needles Wilderness area would be a good start.

The last known grizzly in CO was killed at Blue Lake in the South San Juan wilderness in 1976. There or really the Weminuche would be a great place for some grizzly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Several years ago when wolves were reintroduced into the Dakotas they took off big time but started to kill sheep. There was a town hall meeting where the ranchers were advocating killing off the wolves. There was some Greenpeace idiot there who said they could fly over with helos, tranquilize the wolves + sterilize them. One old rancher got up + said, "Son, they're not fucking our sheep."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Several years ago when wolves were reintroduced into the Dakotas they took off big time but started to kill sheep. There was a town hall meeting where the ranchers were advocating killing off the wolves. There was some Greenpeace idiot there who said they could fly over with helos, tranquilize the wolves + sterilize them. One old rancher got up + said, "Son, they're not fucking our sheep."

Old joke heard in every state they want to bring wolves too.

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
There was some Greenpeace idiot there who said they could fly over with helos, tranquilize the wolves + sterilize them. One old rancher got up + said, "Son, they're not fucking our sheep."

animal

~Ann

Posts: 19155 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote