Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9359 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Well written article that puts the topic in the right perspective.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Excellent article. Thank you for posting.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree. Good article. Objective.

Posts: 10132 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree, It was a good read. Pretty balanced.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about the current state of exotic ranching, but it seems to me that limiting the article to only one ranch tends to paint a single picture.

Would have been nice if he would have done some doe shopping on other ranches.

Posts: 7766 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think one exotic ranch is like another, put and take to some degree so the number are up as a rule, but Id suggest taking a drive around before I jumped in..There are a awful lot of ranches set up for hunting under high fence in texas and as many under a 4 strand barbwire fence, a much overlooked option...Many huge ranches in the 20.000 to 100, 000 acres of low fenced ranches in the Big Bend area, from Sanderson West to El Paso, and North to the texas Panhandle and Oklahoma and New Mexico border...Not cheap but not as high as a guided Pacific N.W. guided hunt..and Texas is buy your license across the table at any point in time and go hunt, no private land draw hunts and only two state land draw hunts for deer that I know of, Black Gap out of Marathon and another out of Van Horn for Mule deer. Both excellent hunts..

A great and overlooked option..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I think one exotic ranch is like another, put and take to some degree so the number are up as a rule, but Id suggest taking a drive around before I jumped in..There are a awful lot of ranches set up for hunting under high fence in texas and as many under a 4 strand barbwire fence, a much overlooked option...Many huge ranches in the 20.000 to 100, 000 acres of low fenced ranches in the Big Bend area, from Sanderson West to El Paso, and North to the texas Panhandle and Oklahoma and New Mexico border...Not cheap but not as high as a guided Pacific N.W. guided hunt..and Texas is buy your license across the table at any point in time and go hunt, no private land draw hunts and only two state land draw hunts for deer that I know of, Black Gap out of Marathon and another out of Van Horn for Mule deer. Both excellent hunts..

A great and overlooked option..

Absolutely! There are many low fence ranches who allow hunting of what ever roams their property. Exotics are free ranging in a lot of places where there are not high fences. Some will set prices for the different animals found there, but and, or, the size of the racks on them. That will be made clear to you before you start you booking your hunt on their ranch.
I was born in 1937 on my grand fathers ranch in Texas, and there was never a fence on our place over a five wire cattle fence, and over the years I hunted a lot of fence jumper exotics after about the 1950s.
This non-sense that all exotics are behind high fence in Texas is simply a thing fostered by anti-hunting propaganda, nothing more!
.......................................... old MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read the extreme cold has killed off some of the exotics.
They were talking Black Buck and Axis Deer but the African species may not have faired well either.

M

Posts: 1227 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sad to hear. Good article.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
I agree with BWW.
I may not know the exotic biz like Ray (who does?) but I have hunted several Texas ranches and they are not all alike.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I once hunted with Finn Aagaard and he gave me a lot of background on how he ended up on an exotic ranch in Texas after his PH hunting in Kenya got shut down. Not only were African critters affected by cold, but critters like elk were adversely affected by the heat in the area he was at.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote