THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    The richest man in the world(edited with more info added)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The richest man in the world(edited with more info added)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted
.....Well, maybe not money-wise but in experiences with my 7yo daughter.

Having just returned from 3 weeks of salmon fishing in Alaska (trip report) I rushed around to get ready for school and managed to squeeze in an antelope hunt with my daughter Renee and our springer Zeke.

This was Renee's first stalk and I can't believe how well it went. Within 5 minutes of the start of the season we had our antelope on the ground.

The shot was a bit over 400 yards(457 paces, but my paces are a bit less than a yard). This is longer than I have ever shot but there was no way to get closer. I was prone over my backpack and the antelope were feeding. He was DRT. I did miss 2 shots at a doe right after this just to prove that I am human. Regardless, Renee was impressed.

Renee was all smiles. Zeke is a timid but curious so he darted in for a closer look. Stick and move Zeke!

Zeke was getting braver so he came in for a closer look.

But he left in a cloud of dust as Renee brought the antelope back to life.
Big Grin

I'll add more later as my computer is dying.
The rest of the story.....

I was in a rush to get this posted so I missed some important details.

I had been putting in for this early hunt for years and I finally got a tag. As a teacher I was really looking forward to being able to spend a week or 10 days hunting before school started. I finally drew the tag this year and they decided to start school 2 weeks earlier than normal! This meant that I would only have 2 days to hunt before I had to report to school for our beginning of the year meetings.
Mad

If I didn't get my antelope in the first two days of the season I would be driving 10 hours round trip to on the weekends to try to fill my tag. I am used to this during dear and elk seasons. This year the tag gods smiled on me with multiple deer and elk tags so I figured that I had better wrap this antelope hunt up pretty quick. I told myself that I would take the first representative buck we found.

Now about Renee's part.... She has been there for lots of field dressing and meat recovery trips but she had not had a chance to really participate in an actual stalk. She has seen a few kills from her seat in the truck(including Scruffy's antelope 2 years ago) and she has even been there for the tracking and finishing of a wounded animal. For the past 8 months she has been reminding me that she wanted to get out and do some actual "walking" instead of just hanging out in the truck. This antelope hunt provided the perfect opportunity. We had hunted this ranch several times in the past so we were pretty familiar with the many paths leading to the beet fields.

A week before the hunt my girlfriend asked if Renee would be going on this hunt and offered to have Renee stay with her while I was hunting. It have never occurred to me to leave Renee behind but I thought I should give her the option of staying home. When I explained my plans and asked if she wanted to come along she replied, "Of course! And this year I get to hunt with your, remember?"

We woke before 5am and headed into the area before first light. Renee did a great job keeping up with me and staying quiet on the march in. We walked less than a mile and found a small group of antelope feeding before legal shooting time. I was pretty sure that this was a group we had seen two days before so we set-up and waited for the sun to brighten the skies a bit more.

Renee sat about 10 feet behind me with her ears covered as I settled in for the shot.

following the shot, but before I had a chance to find the antelope in my scope again, I heard Renee whisper, "That was a great shot Daddy! You got him."

Perfect ending to a perfect hunt.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
That is PRICELESS. No matter what else happens in your and her lives, that will live with both of you forever.

You are truly blessed.

Congratulations to Renee on such a great trophy. tu2 tu2 tu2

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tell Renee "Great Job" guiding you to
a smokin antelope! Big Grin

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very well done!

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Nothing in this world better than that!

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Good job!
Hunting with your kids will make lasting memories for you both, you are a lucky man.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Absolutely fantastic!

A true treasure for life.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing a slice of your heaven.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing like getting ones children involved early in life to make them into hunters.

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful and happy little girl right there!
Congratulations.
That will be a great memory for both of you

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Behind the camera, a man who knows true wealth.
Best regards Sir.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jason,

Well done! Is that a new SHE SAFARI camo pattern Renee is wearing?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Done!!!!

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
That's what it's all about right there.

I still recall when my son killed his first big game animal with a fantastic shot on a pronghorn here in AZ at age 10.

We had stalked to about 275 yards -- too far for his stock-shortened lever action M99 300 Sav. I told him the only way he had a chance was to use my M70 .264 at that distance. He had never shot it before and was quite apprehensive about the recoil. He finally said he would use it, however.

I laid my backpack on the ground for a rest so he could shoot from a prone position and got him set up. At that point, the buck was facing away from us, so I told Keith to wait until the buck turned broadside before shooting.

I continued to watch the buck through my binoculars for a couple minutes and saw him start to turn. Just as I said,"Get ready to..." the .264 boomed in my ear. I heard the bullet whack the buck. He dropped like someone had cut off all four of his legs. The 140. gr. had punched right through the heart.

I turned to Keith to say something, but he beat me to the punch with, "That didn't kick as hard as I thought it would."

He's on the right with my buddy, Roger. Note the effective camo of the early 1960s.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Good to see FAMILY hunting fishing!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Rich indeed! Thanks for sharing. I think my daughter and I have enough preference points built up to make a good run at some Wyoming pronghorns next year.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
That fantastic smile says it all!
Thanks for sharing

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is just great! You have memories that will last a lifetime.

Thank you for sharing with us,

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
The richest man in the world isn't the one that has the most, but the one who needs the least to be happy with who he is.

Well done my wealthy friend!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
tu2 tu2

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done, amigo ! I am glad that you shot your antelope better than I did in Wyoming with the same young lady as a witness ! Smiler Margaret and I are big fans of you and the lovely Renee ..

Posts: 1534 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Guys, thanks for all the kind replies!

Ravenr, Renee was tickled that you enjoyed this post and that you are impressed with her guiding skills.

Mark, that is actually a hand-me-down GAP Safari shirt.
Wink

Tony, I really enjoyed your post and photos.

Scruffy, I missed an doe later in the day from about 80 yards. When I asked aloud, "how did I miss that shot?!" Renee replied, "maybe it was TOO close daddy...."
Big Grin

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great job, Dad! That's a fantastic way to raise a daughter. My girls varmint hunt with me but I could never get them into bigger game.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The look on her face is incredible!!

Cherish every minute with her...they grow up FAST!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
You have wealth beyond measure

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4196 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to your guide!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome pictures!

However, you'll be the brokest man in the world when she decides she needs to hunt everything dad does. Good thing youth tags are usually cheap.

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Great report! Can't top it at all!

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a beautiful thing!
Congratulations are in order and well deserved!

...but why does the dog have to be named Zeke? LMAO

Zeke

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:

Zeke

Zeke is a great name.... for a dog.
Wink

I thought that you would feel honored that I named my dog after you.
beer

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome - the best example I have seen of why we hunt.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ZekeShikar:

Zeke

Zeke is a great name.... for a dog.
Wink

I thought that you would feel honored that I named my dog after you.
beer

Zeke IS a great name for a dog or an old dawg like me!

Well done, again, on the family hunt!

I've been through that very experience with 4 daughters and they're all now married adults and accomplished hunters. The oldest daughter has taken desert sheep, dall sheep, bears, deer, elk pronghorn etc...and the others are not far behind her.

Best, Zeke (the dawg)

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
Look at that SMILE!! Excellent job, Sir! and a nice pronghorn, to boot!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
Fantastic report!!... I'm always glad when a youngster has a positive role model to share with them!!....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote