Find
Notify
Tools

My son got his first Mule Deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
My youngest son, 13, did a great job this year holding out for a the right buck. He and my oldest son passed on at least 35 Bucks during the season looking for a really big one. They never encountered the right buck so on the last day we talked him into putting a stalk on this one.
Was great fun for me and AR member "Graybird" to watch the whole stalk unfold as my kids closed the distance and made the shot.
Shot was 325 yards rested over his back pack, prone. 280 Rem, 139 grain Hornady GMX, the Buck only went one direction, down.
Short trip under a mile with packframes and he was back to the truck.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to your son. Obviously you are doing great job too. Oopps, I really think that deer while being packed should have some blaze orange on it. Son could look like a deer walking around.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! That's a great first buck. Heck, I'd be happy with that buck even at my age.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Congrats to your son. Obviously you are doing great job too. Oopps, I really think that deer while being packed should have some blaze orange on it. Son could look like a deer walking around.

Carpetman you are right. Right after that photo I asked him "where is your orange?" and he promptly put it back on.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
It was a fantastic season even though the weather didn't cooperate. Always a pleasure to spend time in hunting camp with a great group!

Looking forward to the next one!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your son does have on his orange hat. Not sure if blaze orange as it looks yellow in one picture. I was thinking of some orange on the deer. Orange does show up, someone wearing orange gloves shows up from a long ways as their hands seem to always be moving.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
tu2

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Big congratulations to lil' Snell

You're doing a great job with those two sons Dave !!

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Even here in Alaska fathers and sons hunting together is not all that common. Congratulations in raising good all-American boys.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Nothin wrong with that deer...I would have shot it day 1...has lots of character in my mind.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10057 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Kids in the woods. What could be better? Congrats to you both.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Story!
Great Buck!
Great Caliber!

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to you and your son, great job for both of you.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Your son does have on his orange hat. Not sure if blaze orange as it looks yellow in one picture. I was thinking of some orange on the deer. Orange does show up, someone wearing orange gloves shows up from a long ways as their hands seem to always be moving.

The deer area he hunts isn't overrun with hunters.
He has adequate orange on and is in no danger.
I normally dont wear any blaze on a pack out....

I hate the shit

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great job! You're doing things right, Dad.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12540 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
tu2 Nothing better than watching youngens succeed!
Must have been a thrill to watch.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great time with your son. Congrats! Doesn't get much better than that.

Posts: 146 | Location: Parks AZ | Registered: 31 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Thats what I call making memories! Thanks for sharing Snellstrom and congrats to the boy! tu2

Posts: 10135 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dang! That .280 is looking better all the time in his hands.

Tell him great job!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tell the young man Congrats! on a nice buck and great shot.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Great job. tu2

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
tu2

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the positive comments guys!
My boy likes seeing his pictures on the forum and reading your well wishes.
This was his first Mule Deer, however he has already taken nearly a dozen whitetails.
He definitely has the hunting bug.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Good stuff!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on sealing the deal!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Excellent!!! Congrats!!!

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote