New
Find
Notify
Tools

KY and Turkeys
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been watching Tom turkeys the size of most black bears,.

Someone explain to me why KY waits u til the 3rd Saturday in April to start turkey hunting.

California even starts the first weekend in April.

Eastwt weekend would be perfect by you have family I’m and Good Friday you could open on.

Posts: 10837 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Here is a NWTF 2020 Turkey Hunt season opener map - they are "grouped" by color and show many of your neighbors are about the same date start. Here in NY, we have May 1-30, no hunting after noon, 2 bearded birds/season, can't shoot both same day.

Our birds are generally at it by third or last week of March, then have all April until we can get after them. Just like rutting bucks, I imagine the toms lose a lot of body weight during that month.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Notice how much earlier TN and the rest of the South are. We have more birds and are allowed up to 4 birds a year.

I never shoot more than one, and sometimes none.

If you are doing what Ohio does, you are doing something wrong.

Let us go hunting. Decrease the bag for all I care.

Posts: 10837 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Notice how much earlier TN and the rest of the South are. We have more birds and are allowed up to 4 birds a year.

I never shoot more than one, and sometimes none.

If you are doing what Ohio does, you are doing something wrong.

Let us go hunting. Decrease the bag for all I care.

What is Ohio doing wrong? I am just asking ... I don't bother turkey hunting, although both the farms in Ohio and Kentucky have them.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In relation to turkeys probably just too late a season.

In general, you 1) folks drive 60 in the fast lane of a posted 70; 2) Democrat Senator; 3) higher taxes and that is saying a lot we get taxed a lot here in KY; 3) Cold; 4) Your fold act like Cincinnati and Columbus is so cosmopolitan, and we poor bumpkins from KY need translators; 5) The limits on what rifles you can use deer hunting; 6) No one knows what red sop, fried apples, nor Apple Stack Cake are or some combination thereof; and 7)much higher alcohol taxes/prices.

I will stop there.

I spent my time as a POW in the Ohio River Valley. I vote blowing the bridges across the river.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Here it starts on 11th
Bit late if you ask me but I guess they want them breed before they get hunted hard
Love to eat them though...mostly as legs for soup and breast for turkey tenders breaded and fried...mnam mnam

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I make dumplings off the legs and thighs. The breast get dusted and pan fried in a cast iron skillet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been watching Tom turkeys the size of most black bears,

They only look that way all puffed up. Big Grin

Posts: 19364 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Here in Missouri I think the season starts too late. The youth get a good time period but not the general hunt. Toms are done looking for hens pretty much by the time the general opens up here.

I called a gobbler in off the ridge in front of my house yesterday. They are pretty active right now here.

~Ann

Posts: 19154 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
I make dumplings off the legs and thighs. The breast get dusted and pan fried in a cast iron skillet.

Will have to try them dumplings

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I’ll be the dumb one here.

There is a turkey season in Hawaii?

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They have the Wis dates wrong youth season is the 17th 18th

Frist hunt time period starts the 21st

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I imagine the toms lose a lot of body weight during that month

I have shot toms that showed a lot of weight lost

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erict:
Here is a NWTF 2020 Turkey Hunt season opener map - they are "grouped" by color and show many of your neighbors are about the same date start. Here in NY, we have May 1-30, no hunting after noon, 2 bearded birds/season, can't shoot both same day.

Our birds are generally at it by third or last week of March, then have all April until we can get after them. Just like rutting bucks, I imagine the toms lose a lot of body weight during that month.

The map is wrong. FL has 2 zones with different start dates.

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
I guess I’ll be the dumb one here.

There is a turkey season in Hawaii?

They were introduced in the 1800's and a bunch of Rio Grande's were released on the big island in the 60's. So, yep, they have a season.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
quote:

Will have to try them dumplings

Boil them to tender with carrots, celery, onion, bay leaves, rosemary, salt and pepper

Peel the meat off strain add meat to stained broth and dumplings cook to dumplings done.

It is a little tedious picking the meat off the leg bones

I love big dumplings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TN is always first Saturday in April. I would prefer last weekend of March, but would jump for joy for the first Weekend in April.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
In relation to turkeys probably just too late a season.

In general, you 1) folks drive 60 in the fast lane of a posted 70; 2) Democrat Senator; 3) higher taxes and that is saying a lot we get taxed a lot here in KY; 3) Cold; 4) Your fold act like Cincinnati and Columbus is so cosmopolitan, and we poor bumpkins from KY need translators; 5) The limits on what rifles you can use deer hunting; 6) No one knows what red sop, fried apples, nor Apple Stack Cake are or some combination thereof; and 7)much higher alcohol taxes/prices.

I will stop there.

I spent my time as a POW in the Ohio River Valley. I vote blowing the bridges across the river.

Yea, you are pretty much spot on. Cincy and Columbus are cowtowns, thank goodness you must not have been to 'the mistake on the lake.' I prefer hunting in Kentucky too. Guess if you blow the bridges I will have to take the ferry to cross?

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are more than welcome to relocate. Just drive 75 in the fast lane of I75.