New
Find
Notify
Tools

My daughter had a good day!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I don't even know what to say this year, but my daughter has made me so proud and is becoming a very accomplished hunter at the ripe old age of 11! Her skills with a rifle still amaze me and I know she'll surpass anything I've ever dreamed of doing. For the first time she filled all three of her Oklahoma deer tags, she field dressed and skinned her first deer of the day (with a lot of guidance) another first, and she bagged her first buck.

This year I had her put away her trusty Stevens 200 .223 Rem named "Bruiser" (I guess a .223 has a lot of recoil for an 8 year old), and made her use the yet unnamed M700 Classic in .300 Savage. It's been a struggle to get her to shoot this rifle because she doesn't tolerate recoil well, but she understands she can't use a .223 in Colorado next year and wants to hunt elk. She never shot the rifle much at the range just anywhere from 3-6 shots and alwasy with a PAST recoil pad, and the rest of the time was spend shooting "Bruiser" and a .22 LR just to get some range time in. I even had her stretch her shooting out to 300 yards on an occasion just to give her confidence in her abilities as we had to pass on some longer shots last year from the deer blind.

After two days of getting skunked and our buddy's son filling all three of his tags on the first day, things finally came together for my daughter. She shot a small button buck in the morning at 106 yards, one shot high in the front shoulders DRT. Then later that afternoon about 5 p.m. we had a bunch of does and fawns filter into the field. She spotted a little forked horn buck and she kept asking me if she could shoot the "Forky" as she was desperately wanting a buck, and she hadn't been able to connect with one the previous two years. I told her to hold on and let the field fill up, and it wasn't long I said "Hannah there is a buck!" I ranged him at 220 yards and told her the distance and asked you think you can shoot him and she said "Yes", I had my binoculars on him and said "get ready, I'll stop him". I bleated and the buck stopped and turned his head towards us and I said "shoot", my daughter didn't hesitate I heard the report and the bullet smack and saw the deer drop in his tracks. I said "He's down!" and I continued to watch to see if he'd get back up as he fell behind a little rise in the field and we couldnt' see him. After about five minutes we relaxed and then it was all high fives and fist bumps in the blind.

After celebrating I told my daughter to reload and get ready in case another deer stepped out. We didn't have to wait long and a doe and two fawns came out about 10 minutes later. She was acting a little nervous as she kept walking up to what we'd figure out later was the buck and then trot over to the tree line and back out into the field. I ranged her at 240 yards and told my daughter "when she gives you a broadside shot, take it" well it wasn't long and I heard the report of the rifle the smack of the bullet and saw a fat doe drop in my binos. She fell behind the same little hill and I couldn't see her, so we watched the spot where they fell until after legal light. We packed up our stuff and then went looking for deer, we found both laying within 10 yards of each other both had never moved two more DRT shots by my daugher. She shot the buck again high and in the spine but a bit far back as the bullet and bone fragments shredded the liver as well as the lungs, the doe was another classic high shoulder shot.

Anyway enough of the story, time for the Hero pictures!

Her first deer of the day!

Her first buck ever a nice little 8 point, with a big fat doe!

By the way she said she never noticed any kick from her .300 Savage.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Thanks for bringing more kids and girls into the fold.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to daughter and dad!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Tell her great shooting!
My son and I are both happy for her.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Big congrats to both of you

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dang Ted she's a chip off the Ole' block.
Nice to have another accomplished hunter
in the family I'm sure.
Tell her Congrats and go easy on the Ole'man.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Great to read of your young hunters success at firstly mastering a larger calibre, then putting it to use in the field. What I really like though is her impeccable shot placement "high shoulder shot".

Nothing irks me more when I read of behind the shoulder, heart and lung shot, and then wonder why the animal runs off before tipping over. As you found with those three animals, a little far back gets the spine, and even further back the spine, liver and kidneys another DRT shot on deer.

Well done, I'm afraid you won't keep up now Big Grin

Posts: 3851 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
The smile says it all! Well done.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That smile on the young lady's face is worth a million dollars. Please offer her a hearth WELL DONE! from the Chief.

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oops! Credited the beautiful daughter to the wrong Dad.
My Bad...
Substitute Ted for taylorce1
Congrats are still the same

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:
Oops! Credited the beautiful daughter to the wrong Dad.
My Bad...
Substitute Ted for taylorce1
Congrats are still the same

No problem, Ted will always be an honorary uncle to my daughter.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your family for producing a hunter. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Big Congrats!!! Tell that daughter of your I'm real proud of her!!!

Lots more deer in her future!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:

That is funny! If you only knew the story!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:

That is funny! If you only knew the story!

"C'mon show us some teeth!"

Sound familiar?

One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Congrats!

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to the young Huntress.

And the picture has the bolt open on the rifle.

Hope everyone learns to do that for pics they post.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Very well done!

~Ann

Posts: 19154 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
Very good! tu2

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote