Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hunter: Lary Knowlton

Weapon: .338-.378 Weatherby

Date of Kill: January 30, 2010

Species: Bull Elk - 419" Gross B&C

Outfitter/Guide: Carey Sebring - High Lonesome Outfitters

Just thought you guys might like to see a few pics of the huge bull we shot in N.M. this past Saturday. Lary Knowlton, my long-time friend and frequent client, finally shot the bull of a lifetime after months of agonizing defeat. Lary acquired one of the N.M. enhancement tags for elk, and on Sept 1st we began a 5 month ordeal to shoot a 400" plus bull. We started together on day 1, and finished together with 1 day to spare. Together we spent roughly 20 days in N.M. over the past 5 months hunting elk, but Lary himself spent 52 days since early September trying to find "the one".

I can't tell you how many ghost stories, false leads and over-exaggerated elk we chased for the past 5 months, Lary in particular, but in the end I think it was all worth it! Carey's outfit had originally located this bull in early November, and spent weeks of their time trying to get this bull for Lary. At 3:30pm on Saturday, after a 4.5 hr climb to get to this bull that lived in the worst place I have ever seen in my entire life. Mr. Knowlton shot a 419" gross 7x8 with 64" of mass, 54" beams and a whole lotta tines. At 430 yards he shot just over him with the first one, but shots 2 & 3 were perfect and a few seconds later the bull was down. We actually had him figured at 403" - 406", but his mass was so big that we under judged that a bit, and because of the huge mass we though his beams were shorter than what they actually are. I had the beams figured at 51", but the huge mass made the bull look shorter than what he actually is. The main frame is 388", with 31" of extras, for a total 419" gross.

Lary knowlton with his huge bull!

Lary and I with the big bull that eluded all of us numerous times!

One more pic of the big bull (Carey Sebring)

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Wow! What a bull, congrats to your client.

One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
Beautiful bull and scenery!

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a beauty Aaron, congrat to your buddy.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

Jeremy Gugelmeyer
www.sagebrushhunts.com

Posts: 664 | Location: TX/KS | Registered: 06 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic bull. Mass is incredible - never seen eye-guards that thick. Way to go.

Posts: 172 | Location: DAPHNE, ALABAMA | Registered: 26 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW! Eeker Super bull and on his own., No posse hunting!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dang Aaron, how do you find these monsters? First the giant CO bucks now this.
I'm going to have to trail behind you in CAR just to see if some of that 'luck' falls off!
Congrats to you and your hunter on a dandy.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The effort is as impressive as the result; truly a worthy trophy.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Aaron, what a bull! Congrats to you guys! I wish I could have been there this past week. Obviously you guys didnt need my help but thats not a shocker. Kills me that I didnt feel well enough to make it though, just to see a bull like that is an opportunity of a lifetime

I love the mass on that bull! Mass is my favorite attribute

Drummond

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
A Masher!!! Congrats!!!

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bluefin - Actually, I didn't find the elk, the outfitter Carey Sebring of High Lonesome Outfitters found it! He has a great area in and around Carizozo, NM where he outfits for elk. Lary is a good friend of mine, and often times a client too, and he asked me to be a part of the big hunt, and to help him out. The credit for getting the bull really goes to High Lonesome Outfitters. For those of you looking for a quality elk hunt in NM, Carey would be a good guy to consider. I just didn't mention that at first because Carey is pretty protective of his area, and I didn't want to say anything without his approval.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a great elk. Is it B&C eligible?

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Public land?

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Now thats an Ol Bull Wink Seriously though, Congrats on a Monster Bull!!! beer

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Aaron, that's a hog, was that the same hunt you were working when I saw you in early Dec.?

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Spectacular animal, lucky hunter!

~Ann

Posts: 19157 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
All I can say is WOW!!!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Monster Bull shocker

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!!! Mr. Knowlton is a true gentleman and this trophy was well deserved for all the hard work put into this hunt.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9365 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ok well I take it from the lack of response on the B&C and public land question, that there were a lot of fences involved in this shoot. thumbdown

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Mr. Nelson recomends the outfitter but....

This is all old but 3 people didn't care much for the outfitter named above (Carey Sebring of High Lonesome Outfitters).

This hunt stinks of high $$$$$ if you read the first post carefully.

A realy, and I mean REALY super animal though.

http://www.huntinfo.com/review...ad&areview=976648171

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A great bull for sure! That fellow must be some kind of successful in business, there aren't many folks who can take of 52 days in any single year, let alone in less than 1/2 a year Eeker

Pretty unrealistic for regular folks to chase one like that....don't shrink him any though!!!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by schmaus:
ok well I take it from the lack of response on the B&C and public land question, that there were a lot of fences involved in this shoot. thumbdown

My understanding is that this is a low fence, free range elk which makes it eligible for Boone and Crockett.

I cannot imagine a scenario where a person with a Governers Tag would shoot an animal behind a high fence, the cost of the tag itself is more than any high fence hunt. That and it wouldn't take that many days to shoot one in a pen.

Drummond

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys - Sorry, but I am in Harrisburg, PA. and have not looked at this post for several days!

Schmaus - The bull was in fact shot on PUBLIC LAND, and of course would be B&C elgible if it qualifies! I've never heard of an Enhancement tag hunter, taking any animal, of any kind, behind a high fence!!

Ted thorn - I cannot speak for others, or their experience with Carey Sebring. However, after spending numerous days with him, and seeing the efforts he put forth for numerous weeks, plus seeing the vast amount of elk that he has on several of his private ranches, plus the adjacent public land he hunts, I feel comfortable that he does his very best to run a good operation.

Because Mr. Knowlton is financially capable of acquiring such a tag and spending the time and effort necessary to bag such an animal does NOT diminish the enormity of the accomplishment. Carey dedicated 2 months of his life, and Mr. Knowlton continued to strive for his goal. He returned to NM on 10 separate occasions, passing many great bulls, including a mid 380's bull we passed in a different location with just 4 days left in the season. Both guys deserve a great amount of credit for their efforts in taking such an incredible animal.

Thank you,

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the reality of our hunting world is
when you have a premium animal/tag
you can charge a preium price
being priced out of some of these
hunts are nothing new to most of us.
the best part of the equasion is the monies raised for these tags go directly back
to the wildlife of that state and benifit even us lowly hunters.
it keeps game on the mountain and habitat
secure so that when we get "our" chance....
IMO thankfully there are people that will throw
$200,000K at a sheep hunt or a state wide
elk or deer hunt,these tags generate more money
than most of us will spend in a lifetime of hunting.
the chance to hunt a animal like this is not lost to the man with deep pockets,
it is ensured for all of us.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much did this tag cost?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Honestly not sure exactly what he paid, he did not tell me, nor did I ask.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
however look at me a wonderful trophy. The bull of the lifetime. Bravo!

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
ok. I will some it all up for you since aaron already gave the location of carrizoz. Yes it was killed on public land. It was killed in unit 37 on carrizo mountain. The outfitter buys up all the access on the south side of the mountain, but however there is plenty of forest access to the area where the elk are. If you are unlucky to draw, there are plenty of ranchers willing to sell the elk tags. Not a huge population of elk, but the quality is good. A 380 bull or bigger can be taken if you do the right homework in the area.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a truly amazing elk. And to think it was only 3 hours from my house.

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
THAT is an elkasorus.